Foyer cabinet - WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
Here are a couple of photos of my current WIP. I really messed up on the pricing of this piece and currently am working for $3/hr. I have learned that even though it is smaller than a bed or a table, with three inset doors, it takes some time to complete.

unfinished_cabinet.jpg

Here is a picture of it with the mirror in it:

mirror2.jpg

The two little doors are where the speaker fabric are going (previous post). The top left cubby is designed to hide a doorbell and the bottom left door will hide a thermostat. The customer wanted the piece to be symmetrical which means that there is a hidden compartment opposite the doorbell.

The mirror hinges went well, but the little doors are being a pain. I wanted hidden hinges on the little doors to give the piece a clean look, but it has been a challenge. I was going to use round barrel hinges, but they were not rated for vertical applications. I opted for blum 26mm mini european hinges, but currently the gap is too large on the hinge side. Tomorrow I will drum sand the door to reduce the thickness and hopefully reduce the gap.

There will be a shaker crown along the top. The customer wants a smaller version of crown also echoed along the bottom. I am really looking forward to finishing this project and moving on.

Amy

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Here are a couple of photos of my current WIP. I really messed up on the pricing of this piece and currently am working for $3/hr.

Hey Amy,

I worked for $3.00 an hour for years. Now that I'm successful I get $4.00 an hour. :gar-Bi
With work as nice as yours, better days are coming. Looks great.

Ernie

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Amy, nice looking piece. I can't wait to see it finished. OBTW working for $3.00 per hour beats working for -$3.00 per hour.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
$3.00 an hour??????? you hiring?:gar-Bi I know the feeling....... looks great amy.:eusa_clap

b4man

New User
Barbara
Great design and execution:icon_thum

I think the only worse thing that could happen is that they ask you to build something else using the price as comparison:no:
Barbara

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Looks good Miss Amy! If you ever figure out how to truly make money woodworking, you can sell that formula and make money!!

:wsmile:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Looking good Amy. At least you are still on the positive side of "0".

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Looks great, Amy!:icon_cheers:icon_cheers

Don't forget to post a pic of the completed cabinet for us. :wsmile:

I am sure that it will be appreciated ....especially at this price!

Wayne

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Looks good so far, Amy. At least you're getting paid SOMETHING:icon_thum. I usually have to pay people to take my stuff:gar-La;.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Looks great Amy, nice tight fit and the inset doors look spot on!

cpowell

New User
Chuck
The cab is looking really nice. :icon_thum

I have only made one piece for sale, a gun cab for a friend at work. I am too meticulous and slow - not a good combination for lump sum quote work. I'd end up making 50 cents/hr and wouldn't be too happy. :nah:

Chuck

Dwight

New User
Dwight
Amy, great looking cabinet. Many of us all to well know the feeling of pricing our work too low. Maybe with the next project you will be able to eat from the dollar menu, instead of PB&J

:BangHead:

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Amy,

The cabinet is looking great. :icon_thum I feel your pain on the $3/hr pay rate. I've done that quite a few times myself. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: Unless it is something that you have down and can bust out in no time, it usually ends up that way. Just look at it as getting paid to learn. Hey, we never got paid to go to school all those years. :wink_smil

Cheers, :eek:ccasion1

Trent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS