Fountain Pen repair in NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Tapping the group mind.

In sorting through and cleaning out boxes a Parker Duofold fountain pen was found. Looks to be a 20's era unit. After a couple of days soaking, it was dismantled and the old ink cleaned out. Nib looks OK, but it needs an ink sac installed.

Anyone know of a competent and trustworthy repair shop that might handle this. Extra points for close proximity to Winston-Salem.

FlyingRon

Ron
I have collected, used, and repaired vintage pens for over twenty years.

First off, NEVER SOAK A PEN. It's not going to solve any problem and it's bad news for rubber pens. Many Duofolds don't have sacs at all, but a diaphragm (if you post pictures of the pen, I can help with identification). If it is one of the vac duofolds, it takes a special tool to open it.

Don't know of any pen repairmen in NC, but there are very good ones in Georgia, and DC, and the NYC area.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Mark-
I know a guy not far from you who is into watches and fountain pens.
I know he repairs watches and may well repair pens.
I'll give him a shout and see what he says.

Also a carver. I've tried to interest him in NCWW but no luck so far.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Thanks for all the help.

Steve, let me know what he says.

Ron,

Here are a couple of photos that may help ID and guide repair. Any leads on repair and info on getting a proper job done would be appreciated.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Mark-
While he's worked on his own pens in the past he doesn't feel equipped or qualified to take on this project.
Good luck!

FlyingRon

Ron
If the feed/collector is cleaned out (I use an ultrasonic cleaner to do that), it looks like you probably could use a sack. What you have as a button filling (non-vacumatic) one. As you the tail cap has a button under it that pushes that little bale against the sack to function. You can order sacs on line if you like. I have some somwhere, but darned if I can find things now that I've moved. Dave Nishimua has parts on his site (www.vintagepens.com) and links to repair places.

jmauldin

New User
Jim
Contact Parker pen company. I had one that was my father's. It had dried up, etc. I sent it to them, they restored it and now I have a pen worth around $300.00. Reasonable charges.
Jim in Mayberry

HickoryHacker

New User
Paul
They are not inexpensive but I have used The Fountain Pen Hospital in N.Y.C. They have always provided excellent service and at times have told me to save my money, that a particular pen was not worth the cost of restoring it. You send them the pen with contact information they will call with a quote and no work is started until you agree to the price. If you don't agree they will send the pen back to you. Lead time is usually less than three weeks. They also have a good web site with parts and antique pens for sale.
Fountain Pen Hospital
Address: 10 Warren St, New York, NY 10007

Phone:(212) 964-0580

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Thanks for the leads and help. Since this thread started I have found another vintage pen, a Sheaffer Flattop with a white dot and a more recent Wearever lever fill with a SS nib. Still think there is at least 1 more around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS