Follow up to the BoD meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Everyone:

I have posted the minutes. Please review them and make any recommended corrections.

I sent Stuart a PM asking him to contact me.

I also contacted Scott Miller and we discussed his availability. He said yes. As an additional option, he is also willing to work with Stuart, assuming Stuart wants to be the development Director.

Once we resolve this, Scott can publish the Officiers to the membership and we can change the titles.

I know that Steve and Travis are meeting this week to transfer the Treasurer materials and responsibilities.

We need to coordinate the webmaster transfer too.

I want to add that I thought yesterday's meeting set a great tone for us. It was fairly ego-free. Everyone was focused on what is best for North Carolina Woodworker, Inc. and the membership. I think we will work well together. This is going to be a true collaboration.

I plan on writing a letter to the membership. I would like to post a draft in the BoD forum and have each of you provide your input so that we can publish a joint philosophy and goal statement.

Doug

Last edited:

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
The following is a DRAFT of a post I propose making when we resolve the composition of the Board with regard to Development Director. Please review it and make any proposed changes and additions. I simply tried to get my thoughts on paper, but probably left some things off and this should express all of our focus, not just mine. So this is a starting point only!

Your New Board of Directors

The Board of Director election ended May 16, 2009, and the first Board of Directors meeting just concluded June 14, 2009. From the outgoing Board of Directors present were Steve Coles, Roger Deese, George Summers, Rob Payne, Dave Onan and Douglas Robinson. From the incoming Board, Travis Porter, Tracy Pardue, and Scott Smith were present.

As you are probably all aware, this is a unique time for North Carolina Woodworker, Inc. To this point Steve Coles has done the majority of the planning, running and heavy lifting required to keep North Carolina Woodworker afloat. Many have helped, but Steve has always been at the center. For many reasons Steve decided to change North Carolina Woodworker and thereby insure its survival without him. The present election is the culmination of those efforts.

As of June 14, 2009, Steve Coles, George Summers, Roger Deese, and Tom Ferone resigned the remainder of their Board of Director terms. The remaining members of the Board of Directors, voted for the newly elected Directors to fill the vacated seats. As a result, the new Board of Directs is now in office.

This year is a critical year for North Carolina Woodworker, Inc. What this Board does can impact the future of this organization for years to come. Of primary importance is completing our non-profit status and transferring the financial and web-mastering responsibilities.

Furthermore, we cannot downplay the responsibility we as a Board feel to try to maintain the aspects of North Carolina Woodworker, Inc. that make it special as we continue without Steve as our guide. Steve is not going away! However, he is now going to be able to enjoy one of his hobbies, namely, woodworking. Many have expressed their gratitude to Steve over the past 4 years. The Board has also tried to do this by bestowing on Steve the titles of “Director Emeritus” and “Founder.”

The new Board is taking its responsibilities seriously. It is our hope to involve the membership as much as possible. We will be making broad use of committees to help with our various tasks and responsibilities. Expect requests for volunteers for various North Carolina Woodworker events, the web-mastering responsibilities, and fund-raising to name just a few.

The fact that the individuals that ran for the Board but did not win still expressed an interest to serve says a lot about this organization. We intended to accept these offers for multiple reasons. First, many hands make light work, and second, hopefully we can bring along the people that will be running the organization in the years to come.

There will be hiccups and growing pains. There always are. Bear with us. Please feel free to contact us with ideas and suggestions. One of the guiding principles of this Board is doing what is right for the membership. Therefore, we welcome your comments and offers to help.

To conclude, the following are the officers of North Carolina Woodworker, Inc. for 2008-2009:

President: Douglas Robinson
Executive Vice President: Rob Payne
Treasurer: Travis Porter
Secretary: Scott Smith
Events Director: Dave Onan
Webmaster: Tracy Pardue
Development Director: C. Stuart. Nelson.

Last edited by a moderator:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
That is a masterfully written statement. I don't think I could improve on it. :thumbs_up

TracyP

Tracy
I made a very small correction:

"However, he is now going to be able to enjoy one of his hobbies, namely, woodworking."

I added the word enjoy, I am a little weak in the area of mind reading:rotflm: but assumed this is what you meant.

Last edited:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Doug - very well written. I cleaned up a few typo's and made some gramatical changes. Here is the revised version (with red denoting changes).

Scott

The following is a DRAFT of a post I propose making when we resolve the composition of the Board with regard to Development Director. Please review it and make any proposed changes and additions. I simply tried to get my thoughts on paper, but probably left some things off and this should express all of our focus, not just mine. So this is a starting point only!

Your New Board of Directors

The Board of Director election ended May 16, 2009, and the first Board of Directors meeting just concluded June 14, 2009. From the outgoing Board of Directors present were Steve Coles, Roger Deese, George Summers, Rob Payne, Dave Onan and Douglas Robinson. From the incoming Board, Travis Porter, Tracy Pardue, and Scott Smith were present.

As you are probably all aware, this is a unique time for North Carolina Woodworker, Inc. To this point Steve Coles has done the majority of the planning, running and heavy lifting required to keep North Carolina Woodworker afloat. Many have helped, but Steve has always been at the center. For many reasons Steve decided to change North Carolina Woodworker and thereby insure its survival without him. The recent election is the culmination of those efforts.

As of June 14, 2009, Steve Coles, George Summers, Roger Deese, and Tom Ferone resigned the remainder of their Board of Director terms. The remaining members of the Board of Directors, voted for the newly elected Directors to fill the vacated seats. As a result, the new Board of Directors is now in office.

This year is a critical year for North Carolina Woodworker, Inc. What this Board does can impact the future of this organization for years to come. Of primary importance is completing our non-profit status and transferring the financial and web-mastering responsibilities.

Furthermore, we cannot downplay the responsibility we as a Board feel to try to maintain the cultural aspects of North Carolina Woodworker, Inc. that make it special as we continue without Steve as our guide. Steve is not going away! However, he is now going to be able to enjoy of his hobbies, namely, woodworking. Many have expressed their gratitude to Steve over the past 4 years. The Board has also tried to do this by bestowing on Steve the titles of “Director Emeritus” and “Founder.”

The new Board is taking its responsibilities seriously. It is our hope to involve the membership as much as possible. We will be making broad use of committees to help with our various tasks and responsibilities. Expect requests for volunteers for various North Carolina Woodworker events, the web-mastering responsibilities, and fund-raising to name just a few.

The fact that the individuals that ran for the Board but did not win still expressed an interest to serve says a lot about this organization. We intended to accept these offers for multiple reasons. First, many hands make light work, and second, hopefully we can bring along the people that will be running the organization in the years to come.

There will be hiccups and growing pains. There always are. Bear with us. Please feel free to contact us with ideas and suggestions. One of the guiding principles of this Board is doing what is right for the membership. Therefore, we welcome your comments and offers to help.

To conclude, the following are the officers of North Carolina Woodworker, Inc. for 2009 -2010:

President: Douglas Robinson
Executive Vice President: Rob Payne
Treasurer: Travis Porter
Secretary: Scott Smith
Events Director: Dave O'nan
Webmaster: Tracy Pardue
Development Director: C. Stuart. Nelson

We are all looking forward to working with the membership to make North Carolina Woodworker an even better community.

Best regards,

Last edited by a moderator:

TracyP

Tracy
I made a correction to my correction:embaresse:embaresse. Dyslexia is my friend:icon_scra.

M

McRabbet

Sorry to be coming in so late, but I got back home at 7:15 tonight and enjoyed dinner with my wife and catching up with her on our weekend apart. Doug, your statement (with Scott's excellent additions) is very well written and will be a nice introduction to the membership on our philosophy for the coming year. I agree that it was a very good meeting and truly believe we are on our way to becoming a good team. Now, if we could just get Tracy to stop talking so much (or course he has nearly caught me in posts in just over a year!) and just so you know Scott, I like my coffee with half-and-half and one Sweet-n-Low...

Two last edits: drop the period after Stuart in C. Stuart Nelson. And it is Dave O'Nan.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Oh man. Cigarettes. I dreamed about them last night....... In my dream I smoked a few and lied to family and friends that I have still not smoked, and they were soooo good........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS