Folding portable workbench - Midtown Raleigh (sold)

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
I made this portable workbench to take to workshops. Funny how workshops always seem to be one bench short.

This workbench could be useful for an apartment dweller, craft show exhibitor, workshop attendee, meeting presenter, and much more.

SYP top is 19” x 30” x 2”. Removable high vise and planing stop included.

Benchtop height is 34-1/4" and top of high vise is 40".

IMG_4904.jpeg

Workbench folds for transit or storage.
IMG_4905.jpeg

High vise is my design and works very smoothly. Fastened by 5/16 bolts, T-track, and plastic wing nuts.
IMG_4903.jpeg

Adjustable planing stop.
IMG_4902.jpeg

One leg foot is adjustable for uneven surfaces.
IMG_4919.jpeg

And to sweeten the deal, two Gramercy holdfasts and a brass setting hammer Included.
IMG_4906.jpeg

Last edited:

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Is this an opportunity to "make my vice your vice"? LOL

Just a few questions:
1. What are the diameter of the dog holes?
2. What is the distance between centers of the dog holes?
3. How heavy is it?
4. does it stay put when you work on it or do you have to "Chase" it around the room?

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Is this an opportunity to "make my vice your vice"? LOL

Just a few questions:
1. What are the diameter of the dog holes?
2. What is the distance between centers of the dog holes?
3. How heavy is it?
4. does it stay put when you work on it or do you have to "Chase" it around the room?
1. Dog holes are 3/4”
2. Dog hole spacing is either 4” or 5” depending on the row
3. Guessing 75 poundish? Can weigh tomorrow if you need to know exactly.
4. It stays put for normal bench work. Heavy jack planing might require a foot on the bottom rail.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
As the proud owner if one of your tall vises, I will say your asking price is very reasonable as the vise alone is worth that amount! This will be a great deal for the person that grabs it.

You may want to add the bench height, as that is likely something that will be asked.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
As the proud owner if one of your tall vises, I will say your asking price is very reasonable as the vise alone is worth that amount! This will be a great deal for the person that grabs it.

You may want to add the bench height, as that is likely something that will be asked.
Thanks, good catch.

Yes, this is a bargain IMO. I have sold several of those portable vises for $175.

mudfoot

Dave
Senior User
I really like the adjustable planing stop. It’s something I’d like to incorporate into my own workbench. Can you share some details about the fastening hardware and any intricacies that might be useful to know? Thanks!

wbarnes

Will
Corporate Member
If I were closer (and could convince my wife ;)) I’d buy this in a heartbeat. Someone please jump on this quickly before I come up with an excuse to drive to Raleigh and end up in the dog house (or under the workbench).

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
I really like the adjustable planing stop. It’s something I’d like to incorporate into my own workbench. Can you share some details about the fastening hardware and any intricacies that might be useful to know?

Not much to it. Suggest a hardwood scrap. Inserts and star knobs are convenient.
IMG_4923.jpeg

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
I made this portable workbench to take to workshops. Funny how workshops always seem to be one bench short. This workbench could be useful for an apartment dweller, craft show exhibitor, workshop attendee, meeting presenter, and much more. SYP top is 19” x 30” x 2”. Removable high vise and planing stop included. Benchtop height is 34-1/4" and top of high vise is 40". Workbench folds for transit or storage. High vise is my design and works very smoothly. Fastened by 5/16 bolts, T-track, and plastic wing nuts. Adjustable planing stop. One leg foot is adjustable for uneven surfaces. And to sweeten the deal, two Gramercy holdfasts and a brass setting hammer Included.
Wow! Very nicely done! Wish I could say "I could use that," as the price is so tempting! Doubt one could buy the parts and materials for what you are asking!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors