Floating /loose/slip tenon joint

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luckbox72

New User
Eric
Are there any major reasons why you would use a true mortise and tenon joint of a Floating /loose/slip tenon joint? I could see if you were making a through tenon, but even then once it is glued into the mortise is there really any major difference?

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
From what I recall, and my experience, in most circumstances there is little to no difference. Use a good glue and and well-fit joint and you'll be in good shape.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Any given router bit will make more perfectly shaped holes than a comparable chisel wielded by a tired human; or even a not so tired human with bad eyesight! Add a perfectly shaped tenon piece and Bob's your Uncle! I know, it sounds like I like 'em. And I do. I've using them for about 10 years and haven't had any problems.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
A traditional M&T is, well, traditional! :gar-Bi

I use real M&T for heirloom stuff (most of what I do). Since I've started using hand tools more I find the woodworking is much quieter and it allows me to relax and fall into a rythm. As a bonus, hand tools don't usually produce the fine sawdust associated with power WWing tools/machinery.

Routers/motorized cutters are faster than chisels, tenon saws and shoulder planes but much louder. If you want faster then motorized usually wins over hand cut.

If you want a strong joint without glue then a traditional M&T joint, draw-bored or with bed bolts, would work better than false tenons. This joint is good if you tend to move every few years and want big furniture to be easily movable. Also good on shop furniture/benches.

For a standard joint the strength should be fine using either traditional or false.

Chuck

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
I use both. It depends upon what I am building, my mood, how fast I want to get things done, or any one of a number of other factors that are elusive. From a practical standpoint, I don't think there is any difference in strength, assuming that both types are made accurately. For most projects, slip tenons just seem a bit easier, especially if you have your router set up to make the mortises, or better yet, you have a dedicated mortising fixture or machine.

Certainly if you're doing a through tenon, then a squared tenon looks much better than one that is rounded, at least in my opinion. But, you can still do a loose tenon that is square, you just need to square up the mortise. This really isn't very hard with a sharp chisel. In fact, it only takes 30 seconds or so.

Matt

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
The only difference that I have noticed is the necessary width of the wood that you are using. I am making a buffet with a side assembly that has a center stile that is only 1.25" wide. It has 1/4" slots on both sides for floating panels which only leaves 3/4" for a tenon or mortise (if you are doing loose tenons). The smallest domino I have is about 3/4" wide so there is not enough material for a loose tenon in that case so I made a traditional one.

Amy

Luckbox72

New User
Eric
Thanks for all the input. I understand if you are doing fine woodworking or making a tradition piece, but just didn't know if one was better than the other. It seems that for practical purpose they are interchange able. Now that being said does anyone have good plans for building a good Router Mortise jig? I have seen a few online and I really like the versions where you can have stops.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
I built this one, from Shopnotes I think, and it has been my 'go-to' for years.
However I picked up an original Mortise Pal back when they were clearing out the old styles and started using it a couple of weeks ago. Looks like it may repalce the ole jig, it's nice.

mortisejig1.jpg

Luckbox72

New User
Eric
ah I really like the woodrat, but the cost is a bit prohibitive. But it would give me nearly all I would ever need.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Well, let's compare cost:
DR4 $800 (Leigh bits)
FMT $800
-----
$1,600

Woodrat $650 (new) (anything you can chuck up!)
Woodrat $300 (used)

:rotflm:

Luckbox72

New User
Eric
It is diffinatly something I am interested in, which is why I have avoided a dovetail jig, mortiser, tenon cutter, and other such items. Really like what I have seen of the wood rat. Might just have to save my pennies with that as my goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors