FishTank stand Done!...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Hey all! I've been a bit inactive here lately as I've been trying to some other things besides WWing this summer. Thought I'd post a couple of WIP pixs of a little project I've been workin' on lately.

[SIZE=+1]Soooo....

My friend Tara gave me a fish tank so Stacy (LOML)hooked it up like this....

FT4.jpg

So I was ORDERED to make this....

FT2.jpg

the metal stand is to the left and the hardware has yet to be applied. A nice topcoat finish is needed as well...

FT1.jpg

The top is walnut that I got from this old dude who lives DEEP in the woods, interesting character. The carcasse is baltic birch and sapelle...

FT3.jpg

though this picture doesn't do it justice, I thought it was funny how messy my shop is when I'm in the midst of a project. There is literally (well not literally) crap all over nearly every square inch of horizontal space in my basement. LOL.

This **** drought is killing my kayak season! Oh well, I guess 'project season' is starting early this year! Hope all is well!

Thanks for lookin', Peter :)
[/SIZE]

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Re: FishTank stand WIP...

looks like more good work Peter! but something with the arrangement of the doors and the angle of the pics is giving me one heck of a challenge, perspective-wise

pslamp32

New User
Peter

Thanks Pete. It might be that all the drawers are different sizes. It might not be as obvious without the drawer hardware attached. Also, I think the little stripe of maple in the center drawer messes with my mind a bit as well. It was a 'spur of the moment' design idea. Actually every project I've done so far has been pretty much like that from nearly beginning to end. I just start cutting and hope it comes together. Real pro I am huh? :BangHead: LOL. I guess it's cuz I have so little spare time that I don't like to 'waste time' in the planning stage. I just like to start cuttin'. Maybe one of these days I'll actually take my time and try and do a precise, well planned project. Hmmm, then again knowing me, maybe not. :lol:

ps... Oh I think I might know where you're coming from Pete. I haven't attached the drawer faces on the drawers nor have I glued the rails and stiles of the doors and attached them to the carcasse. Everything is kinda just laying in it's compartment loosely. Maybe it's making everything slightly askew. Hmmm, or maybe it's just me.

clowman

Clay Lowman

I thought I mention a word about strength. I made a tank stand years ago, for, I think it was, a 60ish gallon tank. I was very concerned about the strength. I think that water weighs around 8.3 pounds a gallon, throw in the weight of the gravel, and you have a substantial amount of weight. Just make sure it's strong enough for your tank.

After all that.. that's one sharp looking stand!

pslamp32

New User
Peter

Thanks Clay. I thought about that as well. Do you have any tips to make it more structurally secure? The 3 vertical members and back of of the carcasse are 3/4" BB ply, do you think that is strong enough? I sat on it and it seemed sturdy and I weigh 150#. I estimate our 10 gallon tank to be ~90# full. My biggest concern would be bowing of the members.

clowman

Clay Lowman

I mounted 2x4s mounted vertically mounted to reinforce the cabinet. My top was plywood. I probally had 8 of these. It did fine. I thought your tank was a lot bigger than 10gallons ;-) I think you'll be fine if it supports you.

T

toolferone

I think you are fine from a weight point of view. It is all compression. Two think I would look at are the tank sliding on the top and any tip over issues if you have little ones or big dogs. May be tie in to the wall and attach a little trim around the tank into the top so it can't slide. It is a great looking cabinet! Much better then what most aquarist build for them selves.

Here is the one I built for our 55 gallon tank.

Linky to the building of the tank.

clowman

Clay Lowman

Two think I would look at are the tank sliding on the top and any tip over issues if you have little ones or big dogs.

Excellent point Tom. We had a tank about the size of your 55 gallon. We kept African Chiclids in it, and loved them. Then our son started to craw, and pull up on everything. I didn't want to risk that think coming over on him.

T

toolferone

Re: Done....

Very nice!! In fact I would say "really cool". Just make sure your finish is water proof as it will get wet.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Peter, that looks great. And the pics are much better this time, it all looks plumb, square and straight :icon_thum:lol:
Your trademark legs really are a nice enhancement to it also. Well done :eusa_clap

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors