Fish Decoys

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjm6254

New User
Bob
Here are a couple fish decoys I just finished .
Musky and Northern Pike. Basswood 13in /aluminm fins.
Good swimmers.
Bob
Northern2-1.jpg

Northern1.jpg

Musky1.jpg

Musky2.jpg

NC_Horn

Duane
Corporate Member
I was going to say something smart like "do they attract fish" when I saw the title ----- but when I opened the thread and saw the pics, all I can say is DAHHHHHMMMM ---nice work.

Duane

blazeman45

New User
Steve
I was going to say something smart like "do they attract fish" when I saw the title ----- but when I opened the thread and saw the pics, all I can say is DAHHHHHMMMM ---nice work.

Duane

Took the exact words out of my mouth.... Those are awesome!! What is the eye ring on top for??

SevenPin

New User
R
Bob,

Is it me or does the pike in the first picture look like it's "smiling"?

Very, very nice work. :eusa_clap

My guess is the eye bolt is to be able to hang them from a wire?

SevenPin.

bwat

New User
Bill
Don't know what to say other than these look AWESOME! Great work and amazing paint job!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

rjm6254

New User
Bob
For those of you who didnt grow up and fish the Great lakes, Fish decoys are actually used when Spear or icefishing to attract fish to the lure so that it can be speared ,.Spearfishing through the ice is still legal in several Northern States .
These fish decoys are carved basswood,Cedar ,and other dense woods and have aluninum fins for strength and rust resistance some use copper I use aluminum.
Once the fish is carved I balance the decoy to swim forward in a circle as you lower it into the water. Lead is poured into a cavity I drill out in the belly so the decoy will sink slowly with the head first slightly .It is a challange to balance a decoy and this is what makes for a functional decoy as opposed to a decorative shelf dust collector.Yes my decoys swim and do attract fish for spearfisherman and the are really expensive lures .
Most spearfishers prefer sucker or minnow decoys some use trout and perch ,Bass and crappie.I like young Northerns and musky as they are cannableistic and will eat smaller versions of themselves readily.Here are a few more fish decoys I have done to show you the variety I make .
DSC00011.jpg

Brooktrout1.jpg

arcticgrayling5.jpg

sucker4.jpg

rjm6254

New User
Bob
Just about anyone can carve a halfway decent looking fish decoy but most fail to make it swim properly and thats the most impoertaint aspect of the decoy.
I make alot of notes on lead used and fish sizes.Sometimes I make the eyes .
I use metal for all the fins now I had a couple break the tail so now I use all metal fins and tails on 12 inch or smaller fish decoys. The metal tails also help the fish decoy sink with less lead.
grayling2.jpg

DSC00003-17.jpg

DSC00005-1-1.jpg

DSC00001-4.jpg

rjm6254

New User
Bob
OK now Im showing off I cant help myself .Here are some decorative fish to compare .These dont swim just look pretty and collect dust.
DSC00002-1-6.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC00001-3.jpg

DSC00007-1-3.jpg

DSC00002-19.jpg

SevenPin

New User
R
Bob,

That's not showing off. That's the work of a real artist! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Even your "decoys" can be considered works of art!

Really fine work. You should be proud to show them off!

SevenPin

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
WOW again. Those are beautiful!!! I really like the mounted ones on the rocks. Great talent.

Tom Swortzel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors