First Turning

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
Not easy to follow Charlie's post but I'm pretty happy with my first completed segmented vase. It's made from afrormosia, walnut, and maple. The afrormosia was really nice to turn and could not be happier with how it looks. I used Odie's oil to finish it. 180 pieces. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 67272492226--DBFFB437-6192-4BC8-8614-B630D39682E3.jpg
    67272492226--DBFFB437-6192-4BC8-8614-B630D39682E3.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 146
  • IMG-4272.jpg
    IMG-4272.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 142
  • Segmented Vase #2.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 92
  • Neal Segmented Turning (2).pdf
    138.1 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
Looks very nice. I like the contrasts in level 9.
Thanks Matt. My son designed the vase and he's making the same one using sapele, padauk, and maple. Excited to see how his turns out. And my neighbor Linc is making one as well - cherry, bloodwood, and maple (though that may have changed last night).

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Bill, Very nice!!!!!
You, Eric and Linc are off to a great start of going down the rabbit hole of segmented turning. Lol.
Please let me know if I can ever be of any help.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bill, care to share your pattern/cut sheet?

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
Thanks everyone! Neal - I will post the sketch-up pdf as well as a checklist we created for all the different rings. That may be later tonight or tomorrow. My vase didn’t hold true to the design. The bottom is different in the drawing. I got carried away ‘riding the bevel’ and took more off than I was supposed too.

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
Bill, Very nice!!!!!
You, Eric and Linc are off to a great start of going down the rabbit hole of segmented turning. Lol.
Please let me know if I can ever be of any help.
I’m already telling Eric we need to upgrade our lathe. There’s something really satisfying about the whole process. I’m in that rabbit hole!

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Well done Bill! If hadn't mentioned it, I'd never guessed it was your first try at a segmented vase turning.

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
Well done Bill! If hadn't mentioned it, I'd never guessed it was your first try at a segmented vase turning.
Michael Matthews helped me with a segmented barrel so I got a little bit of turning experience with that. I only did one half of the barrel though. Hence my first completed vase statement.

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
Bill, care to share your pattern/cut sheet?
I've uploaded the pdf. Ring 8 and 10 are built together and then cut in half to match the thickness of the 'maple mortar' between the walnut. And I liked your bowl so much I changed ring 1 to include maple - but that's not included in the original vase design. I'll get the cheat-sheet tomorrow.

And all design credit goes to my son Eric. If you have questions or if you see a mistake please let me know!

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
I've updated the post with the cheat-sheet. If you tell me what woods you plan to use I can update and send you a new copy. My son created the document in Overleaf. You can define the different variables ($artisan = Neal, $feature = afromosia, $brick = walnut, $mortar = maple) and it will update the value everywhere in the documented. It made it simple to generate 3 different pdf's since the 3 of us were creating different vases.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS