First sharpening thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
For real? For $20 bucks I'll come to your house and sharpen your pencil and clean up the shavings!

Red

deano055

New User
Dean
Many moons ago in a drafting class, we learned to use 150 grit sandpaper to sharpen drafting pencil leads... we just held the pencil about 25-30 degrees to the paper and created a "completely across the lead" scarf. I do similarly with carpenter pencils, putting the bevel on one flat side, then flipping it over to get the other.... then doing the same to the edges... after the first sharpen hogs all the wood away, it's just touchup after that

Dutchman

New User
Buddy

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Nah, I have used my pocket knife to sharpen pencils since I was about 12 YO. I don't think that is much improvement.

I was hoping to find a very solid stainless steel mechanical sharpener that would cost around $100 and last a lifetime.

There are none to be found, nearly every one I have tried is the same unit in different flimsy skin. And i have looked at thirty something different brands and models. Even the couple I bought from ebay, and returned, were not the quality i remembered from elementary school. I'll keep looking but don't expect to find anything.

MikeCSmith

New User
Mike
I just can't believe that somebody would pay $40 for a Lee Valley pencil sharpening tool. Better to be spend on a good pocket knife. I just wonder who it is that buys such tools? What's your guess on how many Lee Valley sells a year? Two maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors