First Dust Separator! W/ pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Hey Everyone,

Made my first Dust Separator for a 5g bucket. Used scrap MDF, 2" black abs pipe, router and jasper jig. Thats about it. Didn't attach the hard board or dowels because I did a test run on it an well here are the pictures/results!:banana:

Top Bottom

Jasper Jig:icon_cheers Parts attached

Put together (took off attachments on hose so it is just the hose and plugged it into the adapters

Empty bucket Dust test

Empty shop vac (minute dust)

Different angle

All hooked up

All the dust (2" short straight pipe comes down to the top part of the 90degree piece)

Shop vac afterwards, very very fine dust! :icon_cheers :eusa_danc :banana: :icon_cheers :eusa_danc :banana: Now I need to build a cart so it wont tip over when I vacuum the shop! :eusa_doh:

So why does everyone put on the hardboard and dowels? I understand that it is supposed to make it spin, but if I am getting results like this do I need to add it? I would really like to know. First dust separator:dontknow: Ps I have all the other pieces ready to put together, just wanted to know if I needed too?

Thanks for looking! :gar-Bi

Last edited:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
The baffle is to prevent "scrubbing". On my setup, the dust wouldn't stay in the trash can, the dust collector would suck it all out. That sort of defeats the purpose! It's not entirely clear how the baffle works, but the spinning air prevents the dust that's settled at the bottom from coming up again.

The trash can you're using is pretty large in comparison to the pipe diameter. If you used a smaller trash can, you might be able to see the scrubbing effect. Also, there's a good chance you'll experience some scrubbing as the can fills up.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
BAS is correct. [oh how it pains me to say that] :gar-La; I added the baffle to my set up and it does keep more dust in the trash can untill some idiot forgets to check it. then I hafta empty the bag anyway which is why I added it in the first place.:rotflm: as the trash can fills more dust goes to the collector. my seperator is mainly for chips and if I remember to empty it once in a while I dont have to fool around with the DC bag.:icon_thum

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
:icon_thum I knew you could do it, Matthew. As Fred pointed out, you gotta keep an eye of the level in the trash can, er, separator. My Penn State DC has a view window on the bottom bag, so if I see sawdust or chips floating around, I know I am late in emptying the separator.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
The baffle is to prevent "scrubbing". On my setup, the dust wouldn't stay in the trash can, the dust collector would suck it all out. That sort of defeats the purpose! It's not entirely clear how the baffle works, but the spinning air prevents the dust that's settled at the bottom from coming up again.

The trash can you're using is pretty large in comparison to the pipe diameter. If you used a smaller trash can, you might be able to see the scrubbing effect. Also, there's a good chance you'll experience some scrubbing as the can fills up.

Hum I have never heard of the scrubbing effect, but understand that the sawdust will go into the shop vac once full.
And you say the trash can is quite large in comparison to the pipe. That's what size the hose is coming from the shop vac (5.5hp) and it's only a paint bucket. I saw Skysharks separator and it was a 32 gallon for his 5.5hp shop vac.

Wait a minute are you saying that I can get a bigger can, and larger hoses and it will still suck like crazy?:icon_scra

Thanks BAS, Didn't know it was you with the new avatar:no:. Thanks for the advice, will put it together tomorrow!

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
:icon_thum I knew you could do it, Matthew.

Thanks LeftyTom,

I sure did my best. Oh and I got one of those huge maybe 80 gallon plastic barrels they store soap in from work, they were going to throw it away. So I am going to clean it out and convert it into another separator!!!! :icon_cheers :eusa_danc :banana: :icon_cheers :eusa_danc :banana: I love getting another mans trash for free, as it can be very useful!

Matthew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS