First CNC Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJWiehe

Steve
Corporate Member
Aspire is probably the best software there is for a CNC router. I have been using it now for a couple of years. It's not terribly hard to learn or use especially if you watch the tutorials on the support section of the website. Fusion 360 is also an option that is starting to gain traction in the market. It's free to use if you register as a hobbyist. Fusion is powerful and has features that Aspire lacks, but is harder to learn unless you have some experience in CAD software via Solidworks or the other Autodesk products.

I would recommend Aspire/V Carve. You can download a free trial of the software from the Vectric website. Unless you are going to do a lot of 3D modeling you can get by with VCarve which will cover most of what you will do, at least initially with your new machine.

Steve

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Agree w/ Steve, Aspire is a great software program, but if you're not doing a lot of 3D modeling you can save a lot of money by getting V-Carve. I have aspire and haven't touched the 3D modeling section yet.

I believe that V-Carve will let you import 3D files to carve, you just can't edit them with V-Carve. So if you plan to buy / acquire 3D files and not create your own, then V-Carve maybe a cost effective choice. Also, look at the upgrade path for V-Carve to Aspire. Aspire costs $2000, V-Carve Pro $700, V-Carve Desktop $350 (limited to 24"x24" work area). Typically you just pay the difference in costs to upgrade, which is nice you can buy less expensive now and upgrade later if you find you need more features.

Looked over the Grunblau Platform, interesting concept, and nice that they've bundled everything you need, but you do have to source from 3 different vendors (Grunbalua for base, CNCRouterparts for mechanicals / Vectric for Software) which can sometimes cause support issues if you run into a problem. Did they give you a timeframe for arrival?

riggsp

Phil
Corporate Member
Congrats on the new CNC machine...I don't have any experience with Grunblau, but I use Vectric Vcarve Pro for my CAM software and Mach 3 for my control software, and I like both very much...Vcarve is easy and intuitive, and the tutorials are first rate. Mach 3 has controlled my machine from the beginning without any incidents or hiccups.

Last edited:

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
you will love the new adventure. I can't say enough good things about vectric. I use it everyday. Rather 3D version or not will be up to you and how much you want to do 3D work. You can always upgrade if you decide you want to spend time doing 3D work.

Look at this site, they do excellent training and a lot of times the software writers of vectric come across the pond to do hands on tutorials. I've been to a few in SC and it was well worth the time. The classes bounce around the US to make it easier for folks to attend

http://cncseminars.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS