First attemp at spoon carving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
So while sitting in the rain with Mike Davis at a sale that didn't sale much. We sat and talk a lot and I started this spoon. I didn't finish it but Mike gave me some sound advice on what I was attempting. I had left it alone until this morning, what else are you going to do with a snow day.
IMG_0657.JPGIMG_0658.JPGIMG_0661.JPG
Its about ready for a coat of oil and then ready to stir some soup. Thanks for the direction Mike! I have several more that under way.

Last edited:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Richard great look spoon. I attempted to do one once. It was not even fit for the burn pile.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I like it. Nice profile from head to toe along the ladle and handle. What kind of wood are you using?

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Te profile was the thing that Mike coached me on. The wood is Black Cherry. This is some air dried stuff I've had for a while, I've made saw handles and boxes out of it and a few more spoons. It's been the tree that keeps giving.:wsmile:

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Richard, I literally shouted out “whoa” when I opened the first photo. What a beautiful and neat spoon.

Looking at that spoon, either Mike is the worlds best instructor, or he’ll only tutor the very best of students...or a combination of those two has led to a really nice spoon!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Honestly, we were just sitting there in the rain, I was carving a spoon and Richard said that looks like a good thing to do on a rainy day and started carving his own.

After an hour or so he asked what I thought and I said “curve it a little more here”.

That was it.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
What sort of tool (tools) did you use? The spoon looks great and I love the profile.
Danny, if look at picture number two the tools used are lined up on the bench with the exception of a little sandpaper. The two straight knives, two hook knives, two spoke shaves, and two card scrapers, with one carving gouge. I did rough out the overall shape with my bow saw in the beginning the rest was carved with the earlier tool list. The real fun is I only cut myself once and it was extremely minor. I slapped on a bandaid and moved on. Now Mona wants me replace all of our cooking utensils with ones that I have carved. I'll be at this for a while. I enjoyed it and I'll probably get a few hugs and kisses out of the deal.:eusa_danc

Danny Batchelor

Danny
User
Thanks for your reply and pointing out the neatly lined up tools in the background. Your hook knives have different radi but identical handles. Did you make these yourself or were they purchased? If so, where? How much time did you spend whittling in the rain?
I’m no spoon expert but you certainly have cared a mighty fine looking one.

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
Great looking spoon! Really like the profile and the shape, well done. Now you just need some good hearty chili on a cold winter day.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks for your reply and pointing out the neatly lined up tools in the background. Your hook knives have different radi but identical handles. Did you make these yourself or were they purchased? If so, where? How much time did you spend whittling in the rain?
I’m no spoon expert but you certainly have cared a mighty fine looking one.
Danny, I bought these at flea market, they are Ray Iles, some really good steel. It was raining and mostly venders running around talking to each other. As a matter of fact I don't think I've truly talked that much in over a year, I'm generally alone when I work even in my daily business. But to get to the point I whittled at it for most of the day, I really worked it over yesterday morning. I know this dry wood doesn't carve as easily as green wood dose. But that's what I had to work with.

Last edited:

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks to everyone for the kind words and encouragement. I'll do more of these in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS