Fireplace mantle project complete!

MarkDarby

Mark
Corporate Member
Hi all,
This took much longer than planned -- just like all my other projects. But, am quite happy with the way it turned out. This is black walnut with Watco Danish Oil, shellac, and four layers of varnish. It is 9'4" long and 1' deep. It has four storage areas and outlets installed in the two just to the left and right of the firebox. I have brass grommets so I can run lamps to the mantle if we ever want to. The compartments right above the firebox do get hot -- but not so hot that I can't hold my hand to the wood. The new stonework sags about 5/8" in the middle -- so I routed a pattern of the stone so that the mantle could form fit over the stone and hide the sag. The front and back are dovetailed to the sides. Between each of the four compartments I have a divider that uses a sliding dovetail with the idea that this will provide the necessary support. I have four 3" 1/2" lag bolts that hold the mantle to the wall.
I also build a small shelf in the same style as the mantle that sits right under my TV for the center channel speaker for my home theater. For this, I put a drawer in instead of a hinged top. Next task is create a 3' x 4' black walnut frame to hold a ceramic Italian mural.
Also, as with my projects, I started out with what I thought to be a good SketchUp file... but had to iterate through three revisions which I didn't get back into the design file. If anyone would like a copy, just let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_2330.jpeg
    IMG_2330.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 125
  • IMG_2383.jpeg
    IMG_2383.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 113
  • IMG_2384.jpeg
    IMG_2384.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 112
  • IMG_2517.jpeg
    IMG_2517.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_3099.jpeg
    IMG_3099.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_3168.jpeg
    IMG_3168.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 113
  • IMG_3416.jpeg
    IMG_3416.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 110
  • SketchUp.jpg
    SketchUp.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 122

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Wow, I remember the post concerning the sag issue. The project as a whole is a very impressive transformation. Like good bye 70’s, hello 2024. Nice work it really looks great!

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice work Mark. Your living space has taken a leap forward to the future. I hope y’all enjoy it. It looks great.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Mark - that looks really nice. Good use of space.

Kudos to whomever tackled the brick/stonework.

-Mark

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
Wow! That makes that fireplace wall just stand out. So I'd have to say that is outstanding work!

Well done!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS