Final dimension s for urns project

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Charley Lent met with NCWWer kclark, (Kevin), who is a funeral director. He graciously gave us both a cardboard box, and a plastic box, that are used for cremains. Having these boxes has now allowed us to come up with a standard set of dimensions.:) After lots of discussions with Skymaster (Jack), using all 3/4" lumber for the urn, it has been decided to make the top and bottom panels the same size, 12"× 10". The sides can vary from 5 1/2" to 6" in width, with front and back panels 11" long. The 2 side panels 9" long. So, here's the cut list.
Top and bottom panels................3/4" × 10" × 12"
Front and back panels..................3/4" × 5 1/2" - 6" × 11"
2 side panels..................................3/4" × 5 1/2" - 6" × 9"

It is suggested to fasten the bottom with 3 screws to insure orientation.
Any suitable lumber can be used. An exterior finish is suggested.
An insignia for branch of service is to be glued to the front panel of the urn, and the NCWW logo to the bottom. These are 3" in diameter, and 1/4" thick. It will be necessary to countersink a 1/4" deep hole with a 3" Forstner bit. Skymaster and I each have one, and we can do this operation if you don't have the equipment.
The top and bottom panels should have a decorative edge, such as an ogee, bead and ogee, or whatever router bit you have.
Any type of miter joint is ok, whatever you are comfortable with.
I hope I have made this clear enough, but mind isn't what it used to be.
Thank you all for pitching in.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I just want to get a clarification so I don't screw up (done that many times). The dimensions of the front, back and side panels are outside dimensions based on 3/4" stock. Am I correct?

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I just want to get a clarification so I don't screw up (done that many times). The dimensions of the front, back and side panels are outside dimensions based on 3/4" stock. Am I correct?

That is correct Scott. These dimensions will allow the cardboard box to fit inside the urn.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
only thing I would suggest; I am doing 5 screws three front and two on back side. This should prevent warpage with only one screw and still orientates the bottom.

Scott; I am reasonably close to you up here in Zebulon if it helps and you want to get together we can do it. :)

Vetteman9956

New User
Brad
Correction !!!!!! The insignia and NCWW inserts are 1/8" thick.. The first few prototypes were done in 1/4" because that what I had at hand. All the rest are made from 1/8" baltic birch ply. ply ones are more durable the the solid ones were.

Brad

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Correction !!!!!! The insignia and NCWW inserts are 1/8" thick.. The first few prototypes were done in 1/4" because that what I had at hand. All the rest are made from 1/8" baltic birch ply. ply ones are more durable the the solid ones were.

Brad

Thanks Brad, I've got one from Skymaster that is 1/4" thick. Happy to learn of the change. And thanks again for making them.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Charley Lent met with NCWWer kclark, (Kevin), who is a funeral director. He graciously gave us both a cardboard box, and a plastic box, that are used for cremains. Having these boxes has now allowed us to come up with a standard set of dimensions.:) After lots of discussions with Skymaster (Jack), using all 3/4" lumber for the urn, it has been decided to make the top and bottom panels the same size, 12"× 10". The sides can vary from 5 1/2" to 6" in width, with front and back panels 11" long. The 2 side panels 9" long. So, here's the cut list.
Top and bottom panels................3/4" × 10" × 12"
Front and back panels..................3/4" × 5 1/2" - 6" × 11"
2 side panels..................................3/4" × 5 1/2" - 6" × 9"

It is suggested to fasten the bottom with 3 screws to insure orientation.
Any suitable lumber can be used. An exterior finish is suggested.
An insignia for branch of service is to be glued to the front panel of the urn, and the NCWW logo to the bottom. These are 3" in diameter, and 1/4" thick. It will be necessary to countersink a 1/4" deep hole with a 3" Forstner bit. Skymaster and I each have one, and we can do this operation if you don't have the equipment.
The top and bottom panels should have a decorative edge, such as an ogee, bead and ogee, or whatever router bit you have.
Any type of miter joint is ok, whatever you are comfortable with.
I hope I have made this clear enough, but mind isn't what it used to be.
Thank you all for pitching in.

correction, the NCWW medallions for the bottoms are now 1/8" thick, thus the hole only needs to be bored 1/8" deep. Same for the front insignia. The military insignia can even stand proud on the front panel.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
To clarify the design that I think that I understand.

top/bottom12" x 10" x 3/4" t
front/back11" l x 3/4" t
side panels9" l x 3/4" t

There's a misfit in the outside dimensions somewhere here.

Urn.png

Burial_Urns_21.png

What have I missed in the overall design dimensions [7.5 + (2 x 3/4)] = 9"

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
To clarify the design that I think that I understand.

top/bottom12" x 10" x 3/4" t
front/back11" l x 3/4" t
side panels9" l x 3/4" t

There's a misfit in the outside dimensions somewhere here.

Urn.png

Burial_Urns_21.png

What have I missed in the overall design dimensions [7.5 + (2 x 3/4)] = 9"

Jeff I think the design is to have a lip on the top and bottom. See the picture in this thread http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=55778

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Jeff I think the design is to have a lip on the top and bottom.

Yes, that's correct. The lip is 1/2" w on each edge of the perimeter of the base & top to route the profiles.

The box is 11" x 9", however you choose to make it.

urn_3.png

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Just so I understand, the top and bottom boards must be a minimum of 10" wide? Are you gluing up panels if the boards are under that size? Forgive my lack of understanding.

:notworthy:

Skymaster

New User
Jack
No forgiveness needed Sir, YES to both questions. If you do not have 10" wide lumber glueup is fine. Sorry I missed meeting you at the Lunch

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
No forgiveness needed Sir, YES to both questions. If you do not have 10" wide lumber glueup is fine. Sorry I missed meeting you at the Lunch[/QUOT

Jack, thanks! I wasn't at the meeting. I'll try and sort out some stuff and get it up to the Greensboro area next week. Or, I could meet sawmaster some where between my place and Newton. Much of the cherry I have is 6' long and walnut maybe a little longer. I'll have to check the length of the oak. Most of it is 4/4 stuff, I believe. Cypress is 5/4.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
4/4 or 5/4 my planer doesn't mind LOL LOL it eats anything I feed it. :}:} If we can find central point I would appreciate it. Greensboro is 2 hrs for me. Remember to keep some for your use my friend. I am heading to Scott Smith tomorrow and picking up Oak that he is donating.

Just checked Google maps and if not too much bother Sanford seems to be about half way

Skymaster

New User
Jack
A note to all those helping our project. I suggest you drill ALL 3" holes prior to assembly, this way very ez on drill press, once assembled it kinda fights back unless you own a VERY big press. For those that do not have the bit then gather up all your parts that need drilling and Bruce,myself,we all have the bits so we can drill em for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors