Few End Table Construction Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

Anyone know the height of a "standard" end table? Also, I'm going to try and bend two aprons for a 3 legged 1/2 slab sycamore end table, any pointers or word of wisdom? I was thinking about using some wiggle wood and gluing on a 1/4 veneer face or laminating several thin strips and use a mold to hold them in place till the glue dries. I could always curf the back side of the apron because I know that will work. Joinery will be mortise and tendon. Other than the bending I think I can handle the rest.

Thanks

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Here's a good guideline for table heights http://www.woodbin.com/ref/furniture/tables.htm

But they really should be sized according to what they will be sitting next to. I had to make new end tables, because the ones that I made a few years back, from a plan, were to short for our new couch. In general end tables are around 18-26" tall, but should be at the right height to comfortably set your beer down on without too much contortion.
My new end tables are 24" tall, but my couch is also jacked up on custom legs so it is a little taller than standard.
Dave:)

J

jeff...

Here's a good guideline for table heights http://www.woodbin.com/ref/furniture/tables.htm

But they really should be sized according to what they will be sitting next to. I had to make new end tables, because the ones that I made a few years back, from a plan, were to short for our new couch. In general end tables are around 18-26" tall, but should be at the right height to comfortably set your beer down on without too much contortion.
My new end tables are 24" tall, but my couch is also jacked up on custom legs so it is a little taller than standard.

A height of 18" ~ 24", that's a close tolerance hu? I think I'll go with 24" because we'll need to set our beer down without too much contortion :-D

Thanks for the linky, any words of wisdom in bending wood there Dave?

Thanks for the reply

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Thanks for the linky, any words of wisdom in bending wood there Dave?

OOOOHHH, pick me, pick me!

Okay, here goes: Some wood bends better than others.

don't know which though.

could try cutting kerf's in the back, then steaming, and wrapping to a form?

bman

New User
barry
best bet for bending is to soak it ,steam it and kerf if not going to be seen it how tight is the circle ........and if you hear a crack get another piece how thick is the apron going to be ..... laminating your pieces and a form would give you identical sides that would be the would be the be the David Marks way....... make a mdf bending form ....thin strips ...slow setting glue and lots of clamps that would be the the safe and most accurate way IHO:eusa_thin

gator

George
Corporate Member
Just to echo bman, thin strips (1/8" or so), MDF form, and plastic resin glue and lots of clamps. One word about the form, you can't lay up the MDF (to the thickness equal to the height of your aprons) and cut an arc in it for the male and female portions. You have to take into account the thickness of the apron. You cut your arc and then cut the thickness of the apron off of the appropriate piece of the mold (wheither you measure the inside of the arc or the outside. Here I am speaking of a two piece mold that you lay the strips in between and then pull the two mold pieces together. This is different than just the inside arc mold where you pull the apron onto the molddirectly. I find that the two piece mold works better for me as you just have a straight pull with the clamps, from one side of the mold to the other.

George

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
If you are going to bend wood solid wood, better get your froe out and start splitting it out. Walnutjerry would be the one to ask chair master that he is.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
any words of wisdom in bending wood there Dave?

The only wood bending that I've done was with plywood and I cut kerfs in the back to allow it to bend and glued them together to hold the form.
That and anything I done with wood from the BORG results in some sort of bending :roll:

This is a subject I'll leave for the more experienced to advise 8-O

J

jeff...

The only wood bending that I've done was with plywood and I cut kerfs in the back to allow it to bend and glued them together to hold the form.
That and anything I done with wood from the BORG results in some sort of bending :roll:

This is a subject I'll leave for the more experienced to advise 8-O

Now that's an idea maybe I'll go and get a few ship planks from my local BORG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS