fastener storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

weelis

New User
weelis
What do u guys use orr storage if all the fasteners etc, that one accumulates wood working shop?

Glennbear

Glenn
Depending upon the quantity to be stored I have found the metal cabinets with plastic drawers available from the big box stores very handy, these drawers hold a surprising amount:

For larger quantities that remain in the factory packaging I have used plastic shoeboxes:

Most recently I completed a bank of 18 divided drawers under one of my benches to eliminate a lot of the shoe boxes and free up shelf space:

Good luck on finding a storage solution which works for you. :wsmile:

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
There's an evolution to it.
Starting out in a new "shop" area, there's a couple boxes/bins of misc. fastners. After some frustration, one sorts them to threaded (nuts/bolts) screws, and misc. specialty. In about two years of use, the first two categories get sorted again into maybe large and small, plus boxes for large and small nuts. After more years of frustrating hunts, the fasteners maybe get sorted as to thread size/ screw size. From there, maybe to head configuration within a size. It just grows and grows as one accumulates fasteners, misc. hardware, tooling, etc., etc. After each re-orginization and new storage containers, you'll get a couple of years of minimum search time.

Here's where I'm at now with a salvaged retail store gondola and Akro Mills storage boxes. The wooden drawer units I built 20 years ago thinking "that's all I'll ever need". At the time, that's all the hardware and stuff I had. Times change. The last photo show a bottom row of nuts, second row of washers, and third row of lock washers arranged as to thread size. The top row has bins of small threaded fasteners that will fit into one bin. Lately, I've had to sort out the nuts and washers for the 10-24 and 10-32 thread sizes.

1stor8.jpg

1stor7.jpg

1stor6.jpg

1stor4.jpg

1stor3.jpg

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I would describe what you see in the first pic as, the-absence-of-good-order. It ain't pretty and it ain't real orderly, but it sure holds a lot of stuff. I've been at this for over 40 years now, so as you can imagine, I've collected a lot of hardware. Rather than buying a few screws or a few nuts, I usually buy a whole box, figuring I'll need the rest sooner or later. One of these days I'd like to really organize this area.

Below is a metal cabinet I picked up very cheap at an auction. It only had a few drawers, so I made the 30 drawers you see. The pulls are pieces of an old leather belt about 1" wide and screwed to the drawer front. Yup, I'm cheap! :wsmile: It mostly holds larger stuff, like hinges, pulls, latches, etc.

As Bob said, every few years I rearrange things, depending on the mood I'm in. :gar-La;

Bill

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I have 6 of these storage cases:
image_9243.jpg

They're $8 at Harbor Freight. What I like about them is that I can take the entire case from the rack to the assembly table, or I can take out one specific bin and bring that. I have a cheap label maker I got at Staples so I can easily identify the fastener in the bin. I also have a few plastic "cabinets" with those pullout plastic drawers like Glenn described. Those are more for miscellaneous stuff as opposed to specific screws & bolts.

Glennbear

Glenn
coffee-can.jpg
:gar-Bi :rotflm: :rotflm:​

This particular container system was my original one and I still have a few of them in use. I drink Master Blend but unfortunately they have switched to a plastic container which is less suitable for storage use because of the nooks and crannys. The plastic ones are handy for things like feed corn, grass seed, oil-sorb, rock salt etc. the handle makes it easy to spread stuff.:wsmile:

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
coffee-can.jpg
:gar-Bi :rotflm: :rotflm:
View image in gallery

Like Glenn said, coffee cans are great for storage, but they don't put coffee in cans any more. When I finally figured this out a few years ago, I actually bought a box of coffee cans at an auction. Here's an alternative way to use them around the shop: screw them to the wall. You can put things in them or hang things on them. I've got a number of them around the shop.

Bill

SgtSnafu

Libraries
Scotty
I use the storage containers like Bas does. I was tired of stacking and unstacking (to get to the bottom container), so I made a large case to fit them in. Each container slips into a dado (where the lip of the storage box slips right in)... Since it is in a shelving unit is not so easy to see, but you can make out the top of it. Since this picture, I have relocated the unit, and can take / post more pictures if anyone in interested...

parts-case-001.jpg

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Since this picture, I have relocated the unit, and can take / post more pictures if anyone in interested...
Yes please! That's a great idea. Right now, I'm always stacking and unstacking the cases like some runaway Towers of Hanoi puzzle.

KC7CN

New User
Don
Peanut Butter jars! Easy to see what's in the jar, and if you drop it -doesn't break! Problem is, the cabinet is full - it's time to make another one; maybe a clam-shell style cabinet.

11Open003f.jpg

10_Closed004f.jpg

Yea, I know - we eat to much peanut butter :nah:.

-Don

SgtSnafu

Libraries
Scotty
Yes please! That's a great idea. Right now, I'm always stacking and unstacking the cases like some runaway Towers of Hanoi puzzle.

Hey Bas,

My apologies for the delay, been busy get things done before our C-mas gathering tomorrow...

Here are the pictures of it in its current location, it is easier to make out the dados...

100_3547-sm.jpg

100_3548-sm.jpg

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Thanks Scotty. I think I can duplicate that :) Very helpful pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors