Extreme Birdhouses (The Wellington )

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapwood

New User
Roger
You certainly have a gift John. And the beauty of the houses are complemented by the use of "recycled" wood. Thanks for sharing and I hope your health allows you to continue these unique projects.

Appreciatively,
Roger

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
John,
Excellent! I have been admiring your work for a while. Are most of you customers using them as actual birdhouses? North Carolinians have erected Purple Martin houses or groups of 10-20 small gourds on their property for generations. Here's a link with info: http://www.purplemartin.org/
There is a science to designing a successful house to keep them safe from predators and House Wrens. Ultimately they will return year after year if they have good breeding results.

Do they migrate to your area of Canada?

Mark

cranbrook2

New User
john
Thank you again everyone for all the very nice comments , it is greatly appreciated.

Mark
I get a lot of the same birds come back every year.
I have never seen a purple martin here but it might be because of all the sparrows.

I have a customer now that wants a purple martin house to look like his house.
He gave me all the specs to go by.
He also said that they have changed shape of the holes.

john

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Yep, the entrance holes have changed to a crescent and the nest area needs to be fairly deep inside to keep owls and other predators away from the eggs/babies. In these parts ventilation is critical d/t heat build up. It also helps to have it mounted in a way that allows it to be lowered for frequent inspection during nesting season to root out the Sparrows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS