Exterior Column Material Opinions Wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Hi All,

I am currently in the process of building exterior columns on my house and am looking for opinions as to what material to use for the middle portion, or the connector, of the column. I'm not sure of what to call it, but it is the middle square piece in this picture.

Originally I was thinking of gluing up some pressure treated 2x pine with pocket screws underneath, but I am concerned about the expansion and contraction making the joints very visible. My next thought was to use pvc trim that was glued up from 1x boards. The pvc would be about 1/2" thicker, which isn't a bad thing--but the price is a lot more than the pressure treated. Do you think the pressure treated would hold up or should I just use the pvc? OR any other ideas?

Thanks,

Zach

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Try Miratek, an engineered composite trim wood that looks and works like wood, takes paint well and will last close to forever. Price is between treated and pvc

Rayban

New User
Ray
I am also gearing up to build new columns for my side porch that are 8 feet tall and about 10 inches square (simple square columns). I was considering marine ply for the main structure. What are you using for the column itself and does anyone else have suggestions on materials? Thanks.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Thanks for the suggestions all.

Phil--how does Miratec actually glue up to itself? I was trying to come up with at least 1.5" thick connector.

Rayban--I using plywood for the exterior portion of the columns within 2x4 framing on the inside (you can just see th photo (12).jpge rough framing of the column to the left of the picture).

thesource and Jeff--I like cypress too, but I don't want to paint it; hence why I was thinking of the pressure treated. I plan to leave the flooring natural with an amber colored sealer, but planned to paint the trim, including the columns, an off-white color.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Most homes around here usually used Southern Yellow Pine for those style columns, as it is/was readily available during the Craftsman heyday, and it was naturally resistant to decay in that application. The columns were typically placed atop a brick column with an optional concrete or stone cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS