epoxy for mortise and tenon joints

Status
Not open for further replies.

pviser

New User
paul
I just viewed a video from AskWoodMan.com about using a chisel to square up mortises. On the audio track, the guy said that he swears by using PC-7 epoxy for the adhesive in his MT joints, citing its gap-filling properties and its longer working time to check for perfect alignment. I plan soon to glue up 32 MT joints with Titebond yellow glue. I'd be interested in others' thoughts about using epoxy instead. Thank you.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I've used epoxy on gates, but never found it necessary for interior joints. The very fact he mentioned 'gap-filling' speaks volumes itself.

ehpoole

Ethan
My own thoughts on the subject are as follows.

If you routinely make well-fitted mortise and tenon joints, then a water-based blue (e.g. PVA) will cause the wood fibers to swell up and ensures a solid tight-fitting glue joint with minimum gaps and maximum strength.

On the other hand, if you make loose ill-fitting mortise and tenon joints, then you are going to need a glue with excellent gap filling properties. Even so, such joints are never going to be as strong or true was a well-fitted mortise and tenon joint.

The only good argument in favor of epoxy is its availability with long open times for complex joinery. However, there are extended open-time PVA glues (not as extended as Epoxy, but 2-3 times longer than regular PVA) for such applications. Unlike water-based glues, wood fibers do not swell when Epoxy or Polyurethane glues are applied, so water-based glues are usually preferred for such joinery since the swelling brings the wood surfaces into tight contact with one another.

shopsmithtom

New User
SST
Although there's no substitute for a tight fitting joint, I have tested Harbor Freight clear quick setting epoxy that comes in 3 oz tubes. I was using some dowels that fit (I thought) a little too loosely in the holes I had drilled. I did some test joints with the epoxy & was pleased that there was no way to separate the pieces short of breaking apart the dowels. The open work time was reasonable & the resin is clear. Isn't PC-7 gray in color?

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
+1 on making sure the joints are tight to begin with. I've fixed the occasional undersized tenon by simply gluing a thin slice on. As for longer open time, Titebond III and Titebond Extend are good choices. My favorite glue for complex glue-ups is plastic resin glue, made by DAP. The brand name is Weldwood. Ace Hardware generally stocks it, it's a powder you mix with water. It has a very long open time, which makes for stress-free glue-ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS