Epoxy Anyone?

Does anyone here have experience in using epoxy? I've got a few project ideas and not sure where to start. I've browsed youtube and found that "Total Boat" and "EcoPoxy" seem to be popular amongst woodworking youtubers, and Amazon has all kinds of brands.

My first project is to "fix" my poorly done inlays (first and only time lol) on some birds and fill it with epoxy. Second project is to make some "Zelda" themed gifts for my son, and third would be a couple of epoxy river end tables. I probably shouldn't have cut out through and through a hole for the wing, rather go something like 5/8 inch down and then inlay a raised piece of contrasting wood and sand it down flush. Im just guessing, but at the time I didn't have nearly as many tools as I do now.

I welcome any epoxy tips/tricks, as well as maybe links or thoughts on inlays

Attachments

• birds.jpg
    birds.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 77

Jclrk

Jclrk
Corporate Member
Here is a couple we have been experimenting with as box tops

Attachments

• 20220613_104723.jpg
    20220613_104723.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 74
  • 20220620_195857.jpg
    20220620_195857.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 73

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Does anyone here have experience in using epoxy? I've got a few project ideas and not sure where to start. I've browsed youtube and found that "Total Boat" and "EcoPoxy" seem to be popular amongst woodworking youtubers, and Amazon has all kinds of brands.

My first project is to "fix" my poorly done inlays (first and only time lol) on some birds and fill it with epoxy. Second project is to make some "Zelda" themed gifts for my son, and third would be a couple of epoxy river end tables. I probably shouldn't have cut out through and through a hole for the wing, rather go something like 5/8 inch down and then inlay a raised piece of contrasting wood and sand it down flush. Im just guessing, but at the time I didn't have nearly as many tools as I do now.

I welcome any epoxy tips/tricks, as well as maybe links or thoughts on inlays
This is my go-to place for epoxy tutorials:

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
This is the only thing I have used epoxy for. It is a tiny sea shell in the lids.
I tape and burnish the tape to the bottom of the lid (I use packing tape).
Then I mix a very small amount of epoxy and put in just enough to seal the bottom.
The next day, after that dries, I mix enough to add the shell, and cover with epoxy. Sometimes I skip the shell and swirl in some color instead. People like them.
There is a special tape used for epoxy. There is special epoxy used for deep pours.
Epoxy generates heat while curing. Epoxy smells terrible while curing. Polishing out the top is annoying.

Attachments

• 6C0C0D33-9C75-4560-AA09-34781FE565CF.jpeg
    6C0C0D33-9C75-4560-AA09-34781FE565CF.jpeg
    1,006.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 98FF5DB3-9430-42F9-9DE8-1C363C07803B.jpeg
    98FF5DB3-9430-42F9-9DE8-1C363C07803B.jpeg
    991.7 KB · Views: 62

Cuthriell

Cuthriell
Senior User
I use Total Boat Thixo fast cure that comes in a caulking tube. The standard cure thixo seems to take over night to set up. The fast cure gives you about an hour depending on temperature. I mix it manually and have never used the mixing nozzles that come with the tubes. It is nice and thick and does not run or drip.

wndopdlr

wally
Senior User
I have finished a couple tables with epoxy and use it to fill voids sometimes in my turned bowls. I have been using Stonecoat products and found that their customer service is excellent. My only complaint with their product is that they do not have a real thin epoxy that I can use to penetrate deep into fine cracks, but I have not found anyone who does.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
West and System 7 are big with boat builders. Not very clear of course. "Bar top" is clear.

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
Get some larger medical style injectors to allow for controlled laying of different colors for different sections. That is assuming you want to do smaller portion pours rather than a big one. For brands, I like the ProMarine epoxy. It is a less pricey than many others and has been top 5-10 reviews on most every site I found concerning bar top epoxy.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I’ve been a WEST System user for over 40 years. Recently I’ve gained confidence in the Total Boat line of products. (including paints and varnishes but that’s a separate story).

The thing with epoxies is to understand they aren’t all the same. You need to take the time to find the one that is appropriate for the job at hand. Material compatibility, temperatures, structural demands, clarity, working time, viscosity, finishing characteristics - the list of potential requirements goes on. Some are food safe if that matters. Most manufacturers provide a user guide to help you identify the one you need.

If you are relying on reviews on line, find folks who are using it for the same application as you have in mind. Perfect for one job can be useless for another.

Good luck, and as always share photos

mike_wood

Update your profile with your name
User
I have been using epoxy for inlays for a few months and for me it was a real learning process despite watching youtube videos. Biggest problem for me was sealing the bottom and sides to prevent leakage and minimizing bubbles. I found that poly sprays did not work well and were inconsistent. Recently I have used watered down wood glue and I am happy with it although it takes more time. Bubble are a different matter. Have used heat gun, hair dryer, and torch. The problem with heat gun/drying is it blows the epoxy around to places that may not have been sealed. The torch is ok but if not careful can cause more bubbles. I found two thin layers work best.

Coloring has been another adventure. For my needs the liquid coloring looks better than flakes.

My suggestion is to test on scrapes until you have a technique down pat. Will save a lot of work in the end.

John Jimenez

JJ
Corporate Member
I prefer ecopoxy…..I’ve been using both their 1:1 and 2:1 for a few years and have always been happy with the results. Bubbles forming during curing are a real pain…you may be able to reduce the amount of bubbles by sealing the inside edges with a 1:1 and letting it dry before doing the pour. Also, with all the epoxies, pay attention to the heat it generates based on the ambient temp of your work space and pouring in very cold temps can cause the curing time to increase greatly. Lastly, the cost of epoxy is crazy high so, be sure to calculate the volume you will need during designing your work piece to make sure you want to spend the money on the amount of epoxy you will need. Hope this is helpful.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
So, just to summarize so far the best epoxy is . . .
Total Boat or Stonecoat or West System or System 7 or ProMarine or EcoPoxy.
FWIW - I used Leggari epoxy with good results. (Full disclosure = they sent me free samples)
That should simplify his choices! :rolleyes:

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
For color, I have used alcohol ink. If you’re careful you can leave it swirlEd and not solid.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS