Entertainment center

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
This is an entertainment center done for an Architect. All done in 3/4” and 1” MDF, painted black with flat CV. Houses a large 75” TV and a bunch of audiophile equipment. Except the TV, everything is hidden behind black speaker cloth. Two Cherry strips above and below TV, with the trim finished in vertical grain Dougla Fir.

C3674395-0571-435F-BCF5-B34C8ED8DC70.jpeg
FEDEA8E1-C2B6-4BE1-97AA-C4E7EE718DD6.jpeg
0BA304BD-E0DD-463A-AE1D-BAAD8D70746A.jpeg

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Really nice work. I love the clean, crisp lines on the design. Well executed!

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
How does one open the doors without pulls or reliefs? I guess those are some sort of ejector, push to release mechanisms ?

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
How does one open the doors without pulls or reliefs? I guess those are some sort of ejector, push to release mechanisms ?
Yes, the ones from Blum, see link below.

If you look at the open door photo, you can see where they are mounted.

Last edited:

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Wow - great job. Love the vertical cherry lines that break up the black mass. Nicely done.

Nicely done piece Willem.
JIm - And by vertical cherry lines you mean the horizontal ones - right?

I know - not a criticism. This is something I do often; I actually have to think about vertical/horizontal and I pause every time I actually speak one of these to double check (then still get it wrong sometimes).

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Nicely done piece Willem.
JIm - And by vertical cherry lines you mean the horizontal ones - right?

I know - not a criticism. This is something I do often; I actually have to think about vertical/horizontal and I pause every time I actually speak one of these to double check (then still get it wrong sometimes).
For me it's are they rails or styles.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Its a good job, but I'm sorry but I'm saying it -- you cheesed out leaving those pocket holes open.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Its a good job, but I'm sorry but I'm saying it -- you cheesed out leaving those pocket holes open.
I agree.

It is all pricing. We priced those doors M&T or pocket hole and the owner's opinion was that the doors will always be closed as everything works with a hand held remote. Someone else quoted a small fortune for a job similar to this, so he worked with us on the design to get pricing down, cutting all possible corners. I guess we could have filled them with pocket hole dowels, but the customer was not really concerned about what happens inside the cabinet. If I remember the price difference was around $500, but there were lots of corners cut and it all adds up. There are a bunch of doors as well as horizontal panels, meaning cutting a lot of mortise and tenons.

I have to confess, other than cabinet carcasses for customers, I have never built anything for myself with pocket holes.

Last edited:

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Pocket holes are awesome, you just have to think about the position so they remain unseen wherever possible

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS