End tables WIP, this weekends efforts

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
My wife decided that we needed a new couch after my daughter got sick on the old one. That new couch is too tall for the original end tables I made a few years ago. So my current project is a set of new end tables. I have some QS Sycamore from Jeff, just enough for the tops, and a bunch of Black Walnut. So that is what they will made of.
Got started on Saturday milling the rough stock.

QS Sycamore rought cut ready for milling -

All 4 squared and ready to go -

Gluing up one of the tops using the Bowclamps to keep everything nice and flat -

Rough cut Walnut ready for milling -

Walnut 4 squared -

Walnut leg stock glued up -

Lay out for the tenons to be cut on the top -

Making the breadboard end's mortises on the mortise machine (1½" deep with ease :-D ) -

Cutting the bulk of the tenons with the router -

My most used dust collector......my bench:eusa_doh:

Removing the rest of the tenon material by handsaw -

Trimming the tenons to fit with my poor man's shoulder plane....a #78 (missing all the important parts) -

Breadboard ends dry fit -

Elongating the peg holes with a rasp after drilling through the BB and tenon with a Forstner bit to allow for movement -

Table tops all glued up, one sanded flush -

The rest of the table stock ready for M&T and assembly-

OK WAKE UP, the thread is almost over :lol: :lol:

I didn't get as far as I hoped this weekend, doing the breadboard ends like it did took a fair bit of time, and the shop elves are on strike. Hopefully I'll be able to get the rest of the jointery cut in the evenings this week and be ready for finishing by next weekend.
Thanks for looking and enduring my first attempt at linked thumbnails :icon_thum

Dave:)

Last edited:
T

toolferone

There are just some stains you just can't get out out. If it means more time in the shop building stuff, not such a bad thing.

Dave, it is amazing how much work you get done in such a small time. It is coming along very nice.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
There are just some stains you just can't get out out. If it means more time in the shop building, not such a bad thing.

Dave, it is amazing how much work you get done in such a small time. It is coming along very nice.

It wasn't the stain, it was the fragrance :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: Don't ask me how I had to dispose of the couch, just keep them away from open flames :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
WOW. Scrollin' thru those slides I thought I was watching NYWS. Then I realized we hadn't gotten the safety briefing first. Good thing, too, 'cause I wasn't wearin' my safety glasses:rolf:

Impressive work and progress to say the least!!

Go

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Great write-up and supporting pics, Dave. :icon_thum Based on your construction time I guess I should allow one week for panels with breadboard construction, huh? :)

Is the new couch leather? :lol: :lol:

Chuck

J

jeff...

Coming along great Dave, the white wood and dark wood really contrast well. Please tell me your not going to stain it ;-)

Monty

New User
Monty
Those will be some fine looking tables - nice job, and great progress. Keep us posted!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
No metal fasteners? How are you going to attach the top?

Wood buttons and glue. Put a rabbett on the edge of a board and cut a slot in the apron that matches the size of the tongue of the rabbett. Cross cut the board into individual pieces and glue to the top engaging tongue in slot. Long grain to long grain and no cross grain gluing. That's the ideal way, I might get lazy(er) and just use Z-clips.

J

jeff...

Wood buttons and glue. Put a rabbett on the edge of a board and cut a slot in the apron that matches the size of the tongue of the rabbett. Cross cut the board into individual pieces and glue to the top engaging tongue in slot. Long grain to long grain and no cross grain gluing. That's the ideal way, I might get lazy(er) and just use Z-clips.

Dave it's a good thing I know what your talking about or I may have read that the wrong way. Read what you wrote :lol:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Wood buttons and glue. Put a rabbett on the edge of a board and cut a slot in the apron that matches the size of the tongue of the rabbett. Cross cut the board into individual pieces and glue to the top engaging tongue in slot. Long grain to long grain and no cross grain gluing.

Still aren't you going to have cross grain to the top?

That's the ideal way, I might get lazy(er) and just use Z-clips.

lol

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Still aren't you going to have cross grain to the top?

No, on these tables the sides aren't wide enough to need the attachment so the wood buttons would only be used on the long grain side. I am using breadboard ends to keep the top flat, so the buttons just keep the top from falling off. But I think even if I was to use them on the end grain sides the surface area of gluing wouldn't be enough to cause any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors