Either cut off two inches, or get

Status
Not open for further replies.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Last fall, I cut into the remains of one of those staples that hold sku tages on the end of lumber. My Forrest WWII suffered some dental damage ($52 to fix). Yesterday, I ran one leg of a staple through my planer. It had broken off below the surface. A second staple was placed over it, which I removed. I now have to shift planer knives to compensate for nicks. From now on, I either need to cut two inches off the ends, or buy a metal detector. Strangest thing I have ever found was some rifle slugs several years ago when ripping some lumber. Being lead, there was no damage to the blade on my saw.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I got bit recently on my planer as well. I had ordered a WWII sometime back as to have a spare and when I tuned up my saw put it in and what a difference. The staples I had accidentally cut had done a good job dulling my blade.

I wish they wouldn't use staples. They have labels that stick even on the end grain now a days.

J

jeff...

:lol: Just imagine hitting a coke bottle in a cedar log with a 32 HP band mill, now that did some damage...

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I ran across this a while ago in some Poplar. Imagine somebody hitting a tree while shooting in the woods :5dunce: :5dunce: :eusa_doh:

Poplarbullet004.jpg

Luckly it was lead, better than a BORG staple :-x

Dave:)

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
It is hard to believe that the BORG staples are a better grade of steel, than the carbide on a WWII . There are plastic staples and T nails, which won't kill a blade. Luckly, I can shift planer knives, one each way and leave third as is. Electric fence insulators are also a problem, but the nail holding them will usually sets off metal detector. When I was a kid, a member of our church bought a tract of timber at Fort Bragg. Unfortunately there had been a rifle range located next to it during World War II. He and Army had a LONG litigation due to the fact that they hadn't disclosed this fact prior to bidding process. Contract required a bond and forfiture if timber wasn't cut.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
jfyi...I moved this thread out of the workshop forum and put it in general woodworking. It just seemed to fit better there.

Regards,
Chris

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
:lol: Just imagine hitting a coke bottle in a cedar log with a 32 HP band mill, now that did some damage...

when i was younger i worked at a sawmill in upstate new york. it was of the large circular saw type about six feet in diameter and using insert teeth. LOT OF EM!!! we hit a musket grown into a log once. yes you read right, a musket. talk about running for cover!!8-O glass insulators were interesting quite often also.. be carefull with that mosheen jeff!:slap:

fred p

4yanks

New User
Willie
I've come across lead bullets before as well. I thought it was kind of cool. Like others have said it caused no damage to my tooling. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I've started seeing plastic staples in some of the Lowes construction lumber. Found one nail and one HUGE spike but missed two smaller ones so we ate two blades during our last Woodmizer day.

J

jeff...

when i was younger i worked at a sawmill in upstate new york. it was of the large circular saw type about six feet in diameter and using insert teeth. LOT OF EM!!! we hit a musket grown into a log once. yes you read right, a musket. talk about running for cover!!8-O glass insulators were interesting quite often also.. be carefull with that mosheen jeff!:slap:

fred p

Fred those circular saw mills are not for the faint of heart man. I actually ran a smaller one (one time and one time only). After slicing up two oak logs, I happened to notice holes in the saw shed tin roof above the saw and asked the owner what they were from. He said "oh that's where I hit a glass insulator in a pine log and the teeth came off the blade like a machine gun and went right through the roof" Seeing there was nothing but a makeshift piece of plexiglas between me and the saw blade. I decided two logs on the mill was plenty enough for me 8-O.

Your right!!! we always need to be careful. At least when I hit something with my band mill, the blade breaks apart and flies into the dust shoot. Honestly, I actually feel safer running my WM than I do running my tablesaw.

Thanks

gator

George
Corporate Member
Actually, the last studs (not 2x4x96) I bought at Lowes were Canadian and had sticky back labels on the ends, not stapled.

George

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Fred those circular saw mills are not for the faint of heart man. I actually ran a smaller one (one time and one time only). After slicing up two oak logs, I happened to notice holes in the saw shed tin roof above the saw and asked the owner what they were from. He said "oh that's where I hit a glass insulator in a pine log and the teeth came off the blade like a machine gun and went right through the roof" Seeing there was nothing but a makeshift piece of plexiglas between me and the saw blade. I decided two logs on the mill was plenty enough for me 8-O.

Your right!!! we always need to be careful. At least when I hit something with my band mill, the blade breaks apart and flies into the dust shoot. Honestly, I actually feel safer running my WM than I do running my tablesaw.

Thanks

yeh i know! my grandfather had one from before i eas born. i was carryin slabs and edgings soon as i could walk. used to play in the sawdust pile every saterday while the mill was running. my mother had a fit but..... it was grand dads mill and you know the rest!:rolf: when i was 15 and 16 YO he used to pay me to split fence posts with mall and wedge. hardest 10 cents apiece i ever earned but it was gas money at the time and ya dont get the girls if your car dont run.:icon_thum

fred

DaveO

New User
DaveO
hardest 10 cents apiece i ever earned but it was gas money at the time and ya dont get the girls if your car dont run.:icon_thum

fred

Fred, I've had better luck getting the girls when my car ran out of gas...if you know what I mean ;-) ;-)

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
:-D
Fred, I've had better luck getting the girls when my car ran out of gas...if you know what I mean ;-) ;-)

yehbut you dont have to actually run out of gas.:-D just need her to believe you did!:slap: its nice to be able to get her home when you are done!8-O otherwise ya gotta listen to all the whineing...:rolf:

fred

J

jeff...

I've started seeing plastic staples in some of the Lowes construction lumber. Found one nail and one HUGE spike but missed two smaller ones so we ate two blades during our last Woodmizer day.

Alan, watch them yard tress 8-O - you'll be sawing along, all is going well, then wham you hit something in the log and the blade explodes. The queue is when the mill stops singing it's song and starts screaming, hit the clutch fast... Out comes the chain saw to figure out what the heck is in there. The blade usually makes it through a few nails without exploding. It's larger chunks of metal, rocks and glass can be a problem if your not quick on the clutch...

Even if you peel back the bark there could still be stuff hidden inside that the tree grew around when it was young. I have yet to hit anything in the logs I've sawed that we purchase from logging companies. But still do at times when someone brings logs in to be sawed. I make it very clear up front my sawing rates do not include damaged blades or additional labor to chain saw chunks out of a log to get ride of trash. If there's to much trash I won't saw the log. I'm almost thinking I might change to an hourly rate + damaged saw blades for customer brought logs. If the logs are clean they would come out ahead of the game, but if the logs are trashy they would pay a little more and I think it would be fair for everyone.

A few other things to kinda be on the look out for with yard trees, is pith location and wind shake.

If the pith is not close to center and pushed off to one side you got a problem. Depending on how far the pith is off center you may be looking at usable lumber from only 1/2 the log. Off centered pith usually results from a tree growing on a hillside, alone not surrounded by other trees or growing up against something like a building. The other 1/2 will be good for boat planks or fire wood, because the boards will bend up, no matter what you do to them. I saw this picture in your photo gallery which is a classic example of pith off center.
Walnut-1.JPG

A wind shook tree will have a lot of stress and will twist like there is no tomorrow. Wind shake is very common with yard trees, there are no other trees around to protect it from the wind and it's constantly being shook, the tree builds up a lot of stress in the main log. You'll notice wind shook right away when the board twist as you cutting them off the log or if the log it's self wants to raise up off the bed of the mill as your cutting. I've seen wind shake so bad that the log actually split after taking a few boards of it.

blah blah blah - enough already jeff...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors