Eight Hour Workbench

Status
Not open for further replies.

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
Well, it may take a little longer than eight hours but it will be a quick project. Thanks to everyone who gave me ideas in the earlier thread. I finally decided to just make a working workbench and save the super duper workbench project for later (much later).

This bench will be roughly three feet by eight feet and about three feet tall. The base is three feet by five feet. It will have two vises and lots of bench dog holes. I want it to be rock-solid. There will be a little bit of storage underneath for those extra pieces of wood that I never want to throw away. I will probably build a place for my table saw sled and make a few shelves for other things.

Anyway, I have the base about half-way finished. Here are a couple of pics.

422403783_aHAeK-XL.jpg

422404409_xDtf4-L.jpg

If all goes well, I should have it ready to put the vises on when the shipment gets here early next week.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Are those 8x8 legs?

Man you go all out when you decide to do something. I like your gusto and enthusiasm.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Now that's making progress! I always overthink my projects, rather than just doing them. That is going to be STOUT bench!

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I was worried you might be disappointed in hand planing and it looks like you are going to be set up to do accurate work with a jack hammer! :mrgreen:

Are you going to drill pipe clamp holes like the Bench Horse Pete linked to?

Very nice start! :icon_thum :icon_thum :icon_thum

Sully

New User
jay
My only advice would be make sure you can still flip it over when you are done. :rotflm:

Man, that sucker is gonna be heavy--that's a good thing.

J

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
Thanks, guys. This this is going to be unflipable (how is that for a new word in spell check?). But, I am going to attach the top to the legs (er, timbers) with carriage bolts so the top can be flipped if necessary. I told you all in the other thread that you would crack up when you saw what I was up to! I got a good deal on the timbers - the kind you can't pass up!

I just fired up the kerosene heater in the shop. One more cup of joe & it will be on!

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
Just got the bottom skirt finished. I used a tool that is very rare in woodworking (see pic below) :rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

422795048_LeVjt-XL.jpg

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
Progress was delayed for a while because my wife needed help with some wallpaper. :BangHead:

I have the top pieces cut, I got them level and an fixing to attach them to the timbers. I love those Big Lots clamps. Thanks to whoever started that thread.

422844122_3woaD-XL.jpg

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
I haven't made as much progress as I had hoped. Life keeps getting in the way. But, I have boards on that join the timbers at the top. Eventually, there will be drawers cut into the 12" boards on top. I am going to connect the boards across the top with more 12' boards. Not only will these support the top but they will also be where the drawer slides will go.

422968828_3jqtT-XL.jpg

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
I got the pieces cut and installed that will both support the top and hold the drawer runners. I am amazed that everything came out square without much persuasion. I have built several kit boxes and sheds for my pigeons over the last couple of years plus a lean-to on the back of my shop. If my framing skills were this good back when I started these projects, I would have been spared lots of "lessons-learned." :rolf:

423082530_4mWFv-XL.jpg

I still need to trim the 2 x 12 boards and attach them. I have them in place in the picture below. You can see by the dog on top, they are pretty sturdy:

423081713_nAXjY-XL.jpg

OK, that isn't showing much - Rambeau only weighs 4.5 pounds. How about 200 pounds worth of pups:

423083604_5hAub-XL.jpg

I really think I could drive my truck on top of this thing to change the oil. :rotflm:

I left the side aprons 7/8" proud of the 2' x 12' top boards because I have a 3/4" piece of hard maple plywood that I am going to fit on the top. I will plane the apron down smooth once I get that put in place. I am thinking about wedging it in place. But, I may wind up just putting in some recessed screws. Any other ideas?

I am going to leave the ends to finish until I get the vises in next week. Until then, I will unscrew the side aprons and cut out for the drawers and get them installed. I haven't figured out exactly what I want to do there yet.

This thing is put together with lag bolts and 4" deck screws. So, in the event that it needs to leave the shop, it can be disassembled without too much hassle.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Alright Paul.
I'm sure that you and your puppy" will enjoy that one.
That was quick.
Good Job.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Re; Your maple plywood top: I would attach it by screwing from the bottom. 1 5/8" deck screws run through the pine on the bottom should hold it firm. Predrill the holes in the bottom 2bys so the head pulls in tight. The way you have it, it should be easy to predrill from the top side before laying the ply on it. Leave about 1/4" between the bottom 2bys for expansion, and run the screws for the top down the centerline of each of the bottom boards to allow expansion.

Looks like it should do the job, and that's what a work bench is all about!!

Go

PS: Nice looking pups, but are they getting enough iron in their diet? The front one looks like he (she?) is trying to decide if that clamp is good to eat!:rotflm::rotflm:

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
Ha, that put wanted to get off the bench. I snapped the picture as he was preparing to jump.

I made more progress last night and today. My back has been killing me and the progress is slow. But, I got my forstner bit set in and used it to recess the lag screw heads. I also bought some plug cutters to make plugs for the holes where the deck screws are. I couldn't find a plug cutter big enough for the large holes - I guess I will use dowels. I leveled the 2" x 12" boards on the top with a hand plane and cut the plywood for the top. I also drilled the holes for the screws to attach the plywood to the boards like Gofor suggested. I used hand planes to get the apron level with the plywood. This isn't a piece of fine craftsmanship. But, it will serve my purpose well and I don't have lots of time or money invested in it.

The vises won't be in until Friday. I am waiting until they get in before I trim the ends and screw the top down. Tomorrow, after turkey & a nap, I am going to do some sanding and put some urethane on it. I have some extra stain laying around but I haven't decided if I want to stain it or not. I am going to wait to drill the dog holes until I get the vises installed. So, whatever I do, I will have to do it to the interiors of the dog holes. Here are some Pics:

425306656_9rfSV-X2.jpg

425307643_ireF5-X2.jpg

425307147_pt3ML-X2.jpg

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
That bench will not bounce around with your truck on it.That bench is a little bigger than my 3x3 in front of my couch.Tony

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
Well, eight hours was probably about right, not including the vise installation and finishing. I do wish I had bought the planer before I started this project. It would have been nice to have straighter, cleaner boards. But, it is a workbench and not a piece of furniture. I have the vises installed not except for the chain on the twin screw fise. I had to order some more chain. Lee Valley was really good about getting the chain for me and sending it out. I also ordered some cool clamps and things that fit in the dog holes. I put a coat of Helmsmate Polyurethane on it today. I had never used that before and I like it! Here are some pics:

429235219_prLcJ-X2.jpg

429235209_8Makg-X2.jpg

I still have to figure out what I want to do on the open end. I think I want to leave it so I can sit under it on a stool. I plan to paint the bottom part with some glossy brown paint that I have.

I really love the twin screw vise. I got a piece of purple heart to use on my next project. It is 8/4, six feet long and ten inches wide - heavy! I put it in the vise to work on straightening the edge and it was rock solid. Success!

KC7CN

New User
Don
Nice bench! You will need a lot of friends if you ever decide to move it :help:.

-Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS