Easier on The Hands Turning Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I have an old Craftsman lathe..I would like to have a nice big $ one but dont see it in the future. Anyhow I turn 25" to 30" spindles which are 2 pieces of 1 1/2" by 3/4" pieces that have a channel routed in both pieces and then they are glued together..This channel (depending on which size core box router bit I use ) ends up being 3/4" , 7/8", or 1" is actually the bore on flutes...I then use a mandrel that runs the length of the flute from headstock to tailstock. I use a homemade lathe steady and my bench is weighted down for stability. This setup works real good for me on an old lathe and I (since getting to this point) have zero run out...... Before I "turn" these pieces I knock the corners off with a 45 deg bit in the router...I probably could stop this step..

My question is , I am 54 and have some hand issues .....some arthritis, have had carpal tunnel surgery and trigger thumb surgery on left hand and the right hand will have to be done soon...Ive done a lot of hand work, industrial and mechanical and repetitious stuff over the yrs.

I start out using a 3/4' roughing and then a 3/4" oval skew which works real good once you get the hang of it..It took a bit to get it on the skew though...Is there a tool that would be any easier to use on spindles especially in the roughing process? I know a better lathe would be great but I have to be satisfied with what I have for now...Im looking to buy just one more turning tool for now...I turn maybe an hr a day on average !! Thanks Everybody !!!!!!!!

flyrod444

New User
Jack
If one white knuckles the handle of their turning tools they will end up with every thing from hand fatigue to elbow problems, I even have a friend that has a little nerve damage in his hands from turning large spindles like porch post. I use to suffer from tennis elbow in my right arm when hollowing, hollow forms until I got a John Jordan handle made to fit under your arm. I originally got my elbow problem from building using a hammer and picking up heavy sheets of plywood by my self but kept aggravating it when hollowing. To help this problem I now turn most of my turning handles to fit my hands. I like handles that fill my hands well and are long enough to place the back of the handle against my hip or side which takes most of the stress away from my hands. Getting your tools as sharp as possible also helps reduce the stress to your hands. With the larger handles you should try to lessing the amount of pressure you hold the tools with since this helps the stress on your hands and actually makes one learn to control your cut better to avoid potential problems. While I don't use the easy rougher tools I do like their handle design and use it on a few of my hollowing tools that I've made. Happy turning,
Jack

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Mark ,
Do the C1 Easy rougher work good on spindles as far as you know or they just work good on about everything I guess???
Jack thanks for the tip on the John Jordan handle too..Ill check that out too. I was a trombonist too for a number of yrs and did the white knuckle thing playing sometimes there too plus all the other things Ive done !
Thanks Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS