Early Christmas present

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomer76

New User
Boomer
So while on vacation up in Ma for Thanksgiving my wife's aunt gave me her present since we weren't going to be here for Christmas. She was really deep into woodworking in college back in the 70's and bought these for a project that was never completed. Now it is in my hands to complete. These are all nice stainless steel.
spoons.jpg

Boomer76

New User
Boomer
I'm excited to attack this project. I've been trying to think of which species to use. I'm going to have to turn one in a bunch of different woods to see which is better.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm thinking cocobolo would make nice handles for these. Whatever you choose, I have no doubt you will make it look fantastic!

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
An interesting challenge Boomer, I'm looking forward to seeing how you complete this project. There are so many woods, and finishes to be considered. Good luck!

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Boomer, Bowman’s suggestion of cocobolo may not be too far off the mark. No reason not to produce some heirloom pieces and cocobolo would qualify.

Another concern is which woods tolerate being washed with hot soapy water.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Very nice Boomer, not sure which is cooler, the flatware set or your wife's Aunt being into woodworking in the 70's. For what its worth, I think Olivewood would make awesome handles.

JohnW

New User
John
Boomer, take a look at quarter sawn leopardwood or lacewood. It contains a lot of flects and rays. I made several fillet knife handles using lacewood with a dense pattern of small flects and they look like snake skins. Cocobolo is also a great choice, and expensive. Its my favorite for handgun scales.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS