DW735 Belt Replacement

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Busy planing some 4/4 poplar this morning and the drive belt disintegrated on me! Have had the planer for well over 10 years and have only replaced knives - never the drive belt.

Has anyone out there have any experience replacing the belt? I see the part number a E-replacement parts but they want $74!!!!(Part Number: 5140010-28) Whereas I can get the belt at Amazon for $21.99 for two of them.

How difficult is it to replace?

Thanks

Wayne

Attachments

• 8B8D45C7-DE87-4210-919E-BB12928E4400.jpeg
    8B8D45C7-DE87-4210-919E-BB12928E4400.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 146
Last edited:

wooduser

New User
Lecil
I’ve replaced it on my 735 twice. The first time it was an effort and after that it was easier.
I used belts rom Dewalt but I don’t remember the cost and it was probably 10 years ago. Let me know I might be able to help.

Lecil

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
I purchased a used 735 with a stripped belt.
I purchased the 2 belts from Amazon and they have been working just fine for over 1 year now.
Thus, I have the extra if you want it. For possible pickup - I work in the Triangle area Monday-Friday.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I purchased a used 735 with a stripped belt.
I purchased the 2 belts from Amazon and they have been working just fine for over 1 year now.
Thus, I have the extra if you want it. For possible pickup - I work in the Triangle area Monday-Friday.
Thanks for the offer.

I ordered a new pair from Amazon. I will have to see how much of right it will give me getting it on.

Wayne

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
After about 2 hours of frustration, I finally managed to get the new belt installed! Looking at a YouTube E-Replacement parts video, they recommended the removal of the cutter head pulley. After a trip to Horror Freight to purchase a gear puller, removing the pulley and trying to reinstall the pulley with the belt I have up! The belt has little to no stretch. (Why doesn't Dewalt supply a stretchable belt!!!

Long story short, I ended up using 15/16" socket and ratchet on the cutter head pulley nut to rotate the cutter head while I muscled the belt on while prying with a center punch. (like changing a bicycle tire) Planer now back in service and I am the proud owner of a gear puller! (If anyone needs access to a gear puller, you now have a source.)

Wayne

Last edited:

wooduser

New User
Lecil
I was frustrated the first time I replaced the belt. Same type of experience. I guess the belt has to be tight to perform the job.

Lecil

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS