Dustopper

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
After spending a little time on Utube I bought a dustopper. mounted on a 5 gal. bucket attached to a 6 gal. 2.5php shop vac. I use it with an ROS and oscillating sander. I end up with very little dust in the bucket and the vac. and a plugged air filter. Is there anything I can do to help this?

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Sorry. Throw it away and buy a Dust Deputy or mini Clear View. They actually work. I know is this is harsh, but that is the way it is.
My CV hooked up to my Fein vac, I have not changed the bag in two years. HEPA filter looks new. I run my ROS, belt sanders, vac the shop every day and now even my band saw.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Mine is hooked up like this and works well.
1662667825350.png

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
I feel your pain. I got so sick and tired of having to clean the vac filter 2 or 3 times every time I used my drum sander. I did extensive research on cyclones and convinced myself they were the solution. I simultaneously researched compatible shop vacs. I now have an Oneida Dust Deputy 2.5 with the 10 gallon bucket (I didn't want to be emptying a bucket half that size all the time) hooked up to a Ridgid NXR 16 gallon/6.5 hp/2.5" hose vac. I picked it because it has the highest air flow (CFM) of any vac I researched. This combo works like a champ!! I am building a cart and will roll them around and attach to every sawdust/sanding dust machine in my shop. I am convinced I have more air flow and more powerful suction with the combo than my original Ridgid vac.

I believe your problem is due to too little air flow from a 2.5 hp vac. The cyclone effect needs high and powerful air flow to tornado downward the dust. It's not getting it, so the dust gets sucked into the vac inlet before it is forced below the cyclone outlet.

Scott is right. Spend the extra $, get a Dust Deputy and a more powerful vac. Oneida says any 6.5 hp with a 2 1/2" hose will work. I believe them.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I believe your problem is due to too little air flow from a 2.5 hp vac. The cyclone effect needs high and powerful air flow to tornado downward the dust. It's not getting it, so the dust gets sucked into the vac inlet before it is forced below the cyclone outlet.
Ah. I missed that part in the OP. That's gotta be it.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Just to add, as budget is always a concern, I love my Fein Turbo II many love their Festool, but the Makita vac has been rated as well if not better in objective testing at half the price. I intend to get one dedicated to my BS with a DD or another CV cyclone so I don't trip over the hose all the time. In testing, the DeWalt was the worst of the bunch. A lot of folks run Ridgid vac's. Not the best, but cheap and way better than our old Craftsman wet-dry's.

My setup:

Attachments

• 20220908_164259.jpg
    20220908_164259.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 92

ShortRound84

New User
ShortRound
My dust stopper worked great with a 16 gal "5 hp" Ridgid shop vac and the $50 silver Bosch hose. While cyclones work great, there is an efficiency loss (no free lunches right?) so you need some extra suck, if that makes sense...

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
That's almost always due to a faulty seal between the bucket and device.

I have one, works perfectly, but not as good as a cyclone.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Pseudo cyclone tops, thein separators, or drop boxes and the additional hosed and elbows all have some loss. No free lunch like Short said.

I could use some longer hose for cleaning the far corners of the shop. Is that Bosch pretty smooth in the inside? Is it anti-static?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I just bought a 3 gallon 5hp ShopVac mostly for the small footprint.
My previous ShopVac was 6 gal 3.5 Hp and this has a lot more suction.
Now I'm thinking I should get a dust deputy, The DIY kit is about $40+
Is my shop vac too small for that?
I don't mind emptying the barrel, I just don't want to buy filters all the time.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
Hey Mike
I just bought a 3 gallon 5hp ShopVac mostly for the small footprint.
My previous ShopVac was 6 gal 3.5 Hp and this has a lot more suction.
Now I'm thinking I should get a dust deputy, The DIY kit is about $40+
Is my shop vac too small for that?
I don't mind emptying the barrel, I just don't want to buy filters all the time.
IMO you're right on the border line of having a too small vac. Maybe you could just buy a separator, hook it up to your new vac, and see if they work together. Cyclone separators require high air flow; the higher the better. Remember all the stories about collapsing collection buckets. Recognizing your desire for a small footprint, investigate the Dust Deputy 2.5. It handles higher airflow; hooked up to a Ridgid 16 gal/6.5 hp vac, it sucks like no ordinary shop vac I've ever used. I'm mounting both on a cart so I can move it from tool to tool.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I’ll just stick with what I have. I really don’t mind emptying the vacuum. And paper filters are not that much.

Last edited:

ShortRound84

New User
ShortRound
Pseudo cyclone tops, thein separators, or drop boxes and the additional hosed and elbows all have some loss. No free lunch like Short said.

I could use some longer hose for cleaning the far corners of the shop. Is that Bosch pretty smooth in the inside? Is it anti-static?
Its still ribbed on the inside but pretty smooth. The cheaper version is not antistatic, but it works great, has a good hose connector that's compatible with the Festool size dust ports, and its flexible unlike some cheaper hoses. Its a good value at $50 compared to the outrageous prices on Festool branded hoses.

I think Bosch makes an antistatic version if your shop vac/dust extractor has a grounded port. Not sure if your Fein vacuum port is grounded.

The non-antistatic version is here ($50) and the antistatic version is here ($100).

ShortRound84

New User
ShortRound
I’ll just stick with what I have. I really don’t mind emptying the vacuum. And paper filters are not that much.

I got tired of dealing with the vac and a separate bucket/cyclone, so when I bought a barely used CT26, I started using the disposable filter bags. Works great and they aren't that expensive, plus it takes my ROS/routers/track saw a looooong time to fill up the bag.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors