Dust Separator

Patrick Rose

New User
pwrww
I have done a search on the forums but couldn't find exactly what I was wanting to know. So this is what I am looking for, best dust separator for a Ridgid shop vac. I have researched several commercial ones but cannot settle on which one would be the best.
I have the following equipment that I would use it on, and each piece I have to connect each time I am using it.
Delta Table saw
Router table
Jet Band Saw
Jet Jointer/Planer combo
Dewalt Planer
Grizzly drum sander
palm sander(s) a couple of these

I am currently using a second shop vac that the motor is burned up in with the Ridgid shop vac hooked to the blower side of the other vac. While this does work at catching most of the heavier stuff (jointer/planer chips) is doesn't do so well at catching the finer dust from the sanders and table saw. I was going to build my own, however I just don't have the time to alot to another DIY project. So I am going to buy one, but What is the best one, and opinions do count obviously.

Any help would be appreciated.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
For my Rigid shop vac I use the molded plastic snap on with a Homer bucket. It works well for the fine stuff. I use a larger DC for table saw and planer. The rolling base is arranged to give a short shot from the vac to the separator with only the one 90 deg bend. Don’t remember where I found the molded plastic separator cap- might have been Home Depot.

Attachments

• CFE2CC27-8704-4F6D-A091-DEAA4FB12C73.jpeg
    CFE2CC27-8704-4F6D-A091-DEAA4FB12C73.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 83

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Either the Clear View , Dust Deputy, or the even Horrible Freight has a small cyclone for shop vacs. A "real" cyclone for a bucket outperforms any of the bucket tops and even a little better then a Klein separator. Not sure there is much difference between them. I like my small Clear View. It works well enough that I have not filled a vac bag in 5 years. I do run my jointer and planer into my big 5 HP Clear View as the quantity of chips would overflow a 5 gallon bucket in no time.

I have concluded, that except for the chip makers ( jointer, planer, etc) the shop vac/dust collector higher static pressure may be an advantage for the dust making tools over a big traditional shop size dust collector. It all depends on airflow focus, not overpowering the entire room with lower velocity flow and hope it sucks up the dust.

Catching fines from the TS? Dream on. :) The problem is getting the airflow focused right at the blade. NO table saw or band saw does this. I have had some success with prototypes on the band saw but have not had the time to go after the TS. I need to remove the top to have access to the trunnion. Miter saw I have almost given up on.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
If you are near Raleigh, I will give you this one that I made since no one wants to buy it.

Patrick Rose

New User
pwrww
If you are near Raleigh, I will give you this one that I made since no one wants to buy it.
Thank you for that offer, however I am not exactly close to the Raleigh area. 2.5 to 3 hours ish.

I will look into the clear view again, Since you made the statement about using a larger version on the jointer/planer I will see how much more they are and will consider both. I like the idea of having a fines and a course separators, and can easily accommodate a larger than 5 gallon bucket catch container.

In the mean time I think I will also look up the home depot version, as well as the HF version just to see what those are all about. I was initially stuck on name brand versions because of quality, but if those will work as good then I don't see the need to spend the $ for a name brand if the off brands will do the same but for less.

Thank you all for the input.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Here’s a pic of the setup I have for my Ridgid shop vac. The Dust Topper is from HD. I initially used a Homer bucket, but it caved in from the suction pressure. I used to use it for everything but since have added a 1.5 HP dust collector for my TS, BS & planer. Like @tvrgeek says, good luck with TS & BS. The 1.5 HP DC is better than the shop vac, as it will get most everything out of the cabinet but getting what flies off the blade on top is a challenge.
I use the shop vac setup for miter saw, track saw, sanding, router/table and any other hand tool…oh, and of coarse vacuuming.
I really can’t complain about the performance (of the Ridgid), but after seeing Fien & Festools in action, it’s amazing how much quieter they are…plus they have that auto start feature. However at $150 vs $600 I can wear ear plugs.

Attachments

• FB7B41E5-CBC2-4C2E-A8A1-7DA4C9F7E5B9.jpeg
    FB7B41E5-CBC2-4C2E-A8A1-7DA4C9F7E5B9.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 72

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Hearing protection is required by just about any of your power tools. FWIW, of all my pairs of ear muffs, the Huscavarna branded ones are by far the best. I keep a pair of muffs by every machine. I bet my 40 year old Craftsman vac is louder than your Ridgid!

Even an over-arm hood on the TS won't get all the top dust if trimming an edge. I believe, waiting on the tests, my focused jet idea may get most other dust when there is wood on both sides of the blade. However, it may require running the blade higher than I think is safest looking at some high speed video. I keep trying to use an over-arm or my ported blade guard, but on 90% of my cuts, it is in the way causing a safety issue.

The H-F cyclone is only $40. Dust deputy about $60. My Clear View is CV06 is $125. Of course, the really coolest cyclone is the Harvey Gryo. On sale now for a measly $2800. :)

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Actually, my current Rigid vac is much quieter than the previous. When I was working we had a couple of Feins and they were quieter, but not dramatically so.

John Jimenez

JJ
Corporate Member
Patrick, I originally bought the dust right dust separator from rockler for 120 bucks. I then bought the dust deputy deluxe cyclone separator from Amazon for about the same price. I was able to mount the dust deputy on the handle above my rigid shop vac. I use both separators with rigid shop vacs. I use dust bags and heap filters in the shop vacs. The dust deputy is far superior to the rockler separator. The rockler separator has a 10 gallon capacity and does a great job with my planer when there are larger chips and not as much fine dust. I have to change the bag on the shop vac attached to the rockler separator way more often than the dust deputy. The dust deputy work perfect and I rarely have to change the bag on the vac attached to the dust deputy. The only draw back to the dust deputy is that the capacity is only 5 gallon so I need to dump it a little more often. Hope this is helpful.

1679407201726.jpg
1679407160613.jpg

Patrick Rose

New User
pwrww
Patrick, I originally bought the dust right dust separator from rockler for 120 bucks. I then bought the dust deputy deluxe cyclone separator from Amazon for about the same price. I was able to mount the dust deputy on the handle above my rigid shop vac. I use both separators with rigid shop vacs. I use dust bags and heap filters in the shop vacs. The dust deputy is far superior to the rockler separator. The rockler separator has a 10 gallon capacity and does a great job with my planer when there are larger chips and not as much fine dust. I have to change the bag on the shop vac attached to the rockler separator way more often than the dust deputy. The dust deputy work perfect and I rarely have to change the bag on the vac attached to the dust deputy. The only draw back to the dust deputy is that the capacity is only 5 gallon so I need to dump it a little more often. Hope this is helpful.

This is actually exactly what I was looking for in an explanation, not that the others didn't help, but this hit the nail on the head (and no dents left in the wood, just saying).
I was actually looking at using a clear view and putting it on top of a 32-gallon trashcan, adding a little weather stripping around the bottom of the lid to create a good seal. If I can get the dust deputy without the buckets then I might go with that one instead of the clear view. But this is also the reason I asked the question here, so I could get the various opinions. It is looking like the clear view and the dust deputy are very similar in their abilities to preform, so it may come down to a cost and versatility of mounting that could make the difference. I am not going to go crazy but I am willing to spend the money to get what works best and not have to test a bunch of theories.
This is a top weekend priority for me this coming weekend. Research and order the best option.

Thank all of you for the info you have provided, you guys (and gals if there are any reading this) are a helpful bunch, it is very much appreciated.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I have a one-bay shop so I wanted the smallest possible footprint and height. I went with a Fein Turbo I and a Dustopper.

1679453612878.png

There are reviews on YT that compare the Dustopper and the Dust Deputy. The DD came out ahead, but not by enough to make the extra height worth it to me.

Some guys on YT make contraptions like this:

If I made one of those carts for a shop vac one thing that I'd add to it is an automatic tool switch so your sander or whatever automatically turns the vac on and off. It's a PITB to keep reaching down for the switch.

1679455060740.png

Last edited:

prototype3a

Drew
User
FYI, Oneida has a new version of the dust deputy (DD 2.5) that is a little bigger and shouldn't choke high performance shop vacs as bad as the old one did. I'll never understand why Oneida didn't make the original the size of the new one.

Sooner or later, I plan to put a DD2.5 on top of a Eagle 20gal plastic drum. Those little 5gal buckets just fill up entirely too quickly for me.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Basic physics, as a general rule, the taller the cyclone the better. Those little swirl tops for buckets work some, but a real cyclone will do a far better job on the fines. Now, someone in the club has done the real work to design a modified Thein seperator which may be as good or better using an Archimedes scroll shape.

The 5 gallon if fine for dust. For chips, you need much bigger. There is no reason you can't mount a DD or CL on top of a 40 gallon trash can. I had to use a short 3 gallon bucket as I needed to get it to fit under my outfeed.
I upgraded and bought this: Dust Deputy 2.5 Deluxe 10 Gal. Cyclone Separator Kit

When I bought it, it was $20 cheaper... June, 2022.

View attachment 217646

It is attached to my Rigid wet\dry vac. I mostly use it with my track saw...and at times, my horrible DeWalt orbital sander.

For my bigger tools (table saw, etc.), I use my HF that I converted into a 2-stage...upgraded the impeller, with Wynn filter, etc..
Use the casters for a bigger base and set the Vac on it, done :)
For flexibility, I use a bit of the white "sump pump discharge) hose between the heavy vac hose and my hand held tools.

FWIW, I dumped my horrible DeWalt sander and paid the big bucks for the 3M. Being a cheapscate, I love the 3M. I also have the bigger Bosch which is nice, but the 3M blows them all away.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
Currently, I can't justify the price of that 3M sander. If I could.. I would...

I am sure going from the DeWalt to that 3m is night and day..

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I don't want to hijack the thread so I will start a new one with this question:
I wonder what the difference is between the clear view and dust deputy versus the Chinese knock-offs? Are the Chinese / Amazon etc. options simply cheap or are they a "Valid option" and equally effective? (Or is there "secret sauce" in the name brand versions?)

Here is the link to my new thread: Differences of Vacuum cyclone separators

Last edited:

Patrick Rose

New User
pwrww
I don't want to hijack the thread so I will start a new one with this question:
I wonder what the difference is between the clear view and dust deputy versus the Chinese knock-offs? Are the Chinese / Amazon etc. options simply cheap or are they a "Valid option" and equally effective? (Or is there "secret sauce" in the name brand versions?)

Here is the link to my new thread: https://ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.php?forums/general-woodworking.29/post-thread
Thanks for leaving the link, even though it just goes to posting a new thread, I at least knew what to look for, and your thread has sparked even more interesting discussions and ideas.

As for the feedback everyone left here, I came to the conclusion I was getting the Dust Deputy because it is only $55 plus $5 for shipping. Here's a link to the one I got, well ordered
I am hoping to see it here by the end of this week, but if it isn't until next week that's all good, as I will be in DC next week and will get to set it all up when I get back. I will get some pics posted up once it is set up and going. I really could have used it this weekend for sure, sanded down about 25 fence pickets to make planters out of. (yes youtube university got me started on those, LOL) But hey for under $100 I can clear $150 to pay for my labor and the fun of cutting wood. Besides I was asked to make them lol.

John Jimenez

JJ
Corporate Member
Thanks for leaving the link, even though it just goes to posting a new thread, I at least knew what to look for, and your thread has sparked even more interesting discussions and ideas.

As for the feedback everyone left here, I came to the conclusion I was getting the Dust Deputy because it is only $55 plus $5 for shipping. Here's a link to the one I got, well ordered
I am hoping to see it here by the end of this week, but if it isn't until next week that's all good, as I will be in DC next week and will get to set it all up when I get back. I will get some pics posted up once it is set up and going. I really could have used it this weekend for sure, sanded down about 25 fence pickets to make planters out of. (yes youtube university got me started on those, LOL) But hey for under $100 I can clear $150 to pay for my labor and the fun of cutting wood. Besides I was asked to make them lol.
Patrick….one last thought…..since I run two shop vacs for all my equipment, I was getting tired of walking around my shop and ,annually turning on and off the vacs. It was bad enough I have to switch the hoses between devices. I researched and bought two of the below remote switches and it was an immediate game changer. I was very worried that the two remotes would conf,it with each other but they operate on different frequencies based on pairing. I keep them tied to my apron. Just for your consideration. Glad you will be working to protect your lungs….don’t forget a good dust mask.

1679969189664.jpeg

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sorry about that - I posted it, fixed it, fixed it again and now it appears it was still wrong!
Hopefully I corrected it now...

I think that version has the baffle in it and I believe that is what is making the difference in the testing... so I bet you will be happy.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS