Dust Right System

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
After reading an article in my latest issue of ShopNotes, I ordered the DustRight system from Rockler. When I got to their site, I discovered it's on sale. Looking forward to using it. Pics when I get it in. Check it out on www.rockler.com
:wsmile:

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Mount it on the wall, with a "Phil Thein Bafffle" under it. Seldom will you have to empty the bag. I hope you used "free shipping" (today is the last day), and ordered the 5 micron bag. If you aren't familiar with the "Phil Thein Baffle," just google "Phil Thein."

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Ditto for me, Jeremy! I working on blowing my stuff outside the shop into a large bin. Tired of emptying that 30 gal can. Planer fills it up way too soon. I plan to use the hose and nozzles for cleanup mostly.

Al Millman

New User
Big Al
Hi Reggie,
I have had one for about 6 months and it work great for big clean ups a little to big for smaller hard to get into places however. Still have a shop vac for that. Hope your Holidays went well and Santa brought you all you wanted.
Happy New Year,
Big Al

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
I've been thinking about some of those accessories for a while now. I've got a yet to be installed DC and I'm in the planning phase for the duct work. I especially was interested in the expandable hose and floor sweeping capabilites. I say "was" because the I started reading about the danger of using your DC for general shop cleaning. If you accidentally get something metal (unseen nail, screw, etc) it could hit the impeller casuing a spark which could lead to a nasty DC fire.... Given the high availability of various types of floor sweeping accessories is that an over blown concern? If not, do they recommend you clean up with a shop-vac before creating the pile of sawdust which you then send to the DC?

Al Millman

New User
Big Al
Travis,
What you need is a baffle like the one discussed in an earlier in this thread, click on this link and check it out: http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm . There is a video that explains how it works. There are other systems out there as well, this one is shop made.
Good luck,
Big Al

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Another baffle option is an old ShopVac that has an outlet (so it could be used as a blower also). You can find older loud or non working ones for little or nothing. I have one that works, but sounds like a jet engine. But I don't run it; I daisy chain through it and just have a lousy foam filter in it. In my case, I am using another vacuum - a newer, quieter small one with a HEPA filter - as the suction source, but I think a small DC would work also. This keeps my fine filter (the HEPA) from cloggin often and the small vacuum it is in fills very slowly. The bigger vac is a chip collector that I empty much more often.

They show an adapter that would fit a ShopVac inlet/outlet.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I started reading about the danger of using your DC for general shop cleaning. If you accidentally get something metal (unseen nail, screw, etc) it could hit the impeller casuing a spark which could lead to a nasty DC fire.... Given the high availability of various types of floor sweeping accessories is that an over blown concern? If not, do they recommend you clean up with a shop-vac before creating the pile of sawdust which you then send to the DC?

Ok, ok, time to dispel another urban legend. While it is technically possible for what you say to happen, it is extremely unlikely.

1. The "something metal" and your impeller will both need to be ferrous (iron or steel) or magnesium in order for it to generate a spark.

2. The speed at which the "something metal" would hit and be thrown clear of the impeller, reduces the chance of a big spark.

3. Any spark will will be quickly extinguished because (remember the fire triangle) the "something" metal will be hot but not burning and will be immediately cooled by the high velocity air flow in the blower (scratch one side of the triangle). Steel doesn't really burn, it just gets hot, the dust traveling through the blower is moving so fast and is of such low density it will not ignite, and the spark will have cooled sufficiently (below ignition temp) by the time it reaches the dust bin so it won't be able to ignite a fire there. (scratch side two)

4. You are much more likely to start a fire by vacuuming up a lit cigarette butt.

5. If you put a mini-cyclone before the blower you eliminate all chances of a fire.

6. You would immediately smell any fire since the DC is circulating that air. Any fire, however remote would be contained to the dust bag/bin and be of the smoldering type that could be easily moved outside.

This is not just theory. I have used my DC (steel impeller) as a floor sweep and vac for nearly 10 years. Being a tinkerer as well as a woodworker I work with metal all the time. I often suck up ferrous nails, screws, bolts, nuts, pieces of sheet metal, etc. (also tape measures, drill bits, chuck key, etc. :BangHead: ) with the DC. I have NEVER, EVER, had even the slightest indication of ignition from any of these. I have a cyclone, but it is plumbed AFTER the blower (push-through configuration) so all dust and metal debris hits the impeller full force.

Remember, EVERY single-stage DC has the intake right on the blower. I haven't looked at one lately, but if this were a problem, they would have caution placards up the ying, yang.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Ok, ok, time to dispel another urban legend. While it is technically possible for what you say to happen, it is extremely unlikely.

1. The "something metal" and your impeller will both need to be ferrous (iron or steel) or magnesium in order for it to generate a spark.

2. The speed at which the "something metal" would hit and be thrown clear of the impeller, reduces the chance of a big spark.

3. Any spark will will be quickly extinguished because (remember the fire triangle) the "something" metal will not be hot and will be immediately cooled by the high velocity air flow in the blower (scratch one side of the triangle). Steel doesn't really burn, it just gets hot, the dust traveling through the blower is moving so fast and is of such low density it will not ignite, and the spark will have cooled sufficiently (below ignition temp) by the time it reaches the dust bin so it won't be able to ignite a fire there. (scratch side two)

4. You are much more likely to start a fire by vacuuming up a lit cigarette butt.

5. If you put a mini-cyclone before the blower you eliminate all chances of a fire.

6. You would immediately smell any fire since the DC is circulating that air. Any fire, however remote would be contained to the dust bag/bin and be of the smoldering type that could be easily moved outside.

This is not just theory. I have used my DC (steel impeller) as a floor sweep and vac for nearly 10 years. Being a tinkerer as well as a woodworker I work with metal all the time. I often suck up ferrous nails, screws, bolts, nuts, pieces of sheet metal, etc. (also tape measures, drill bits, chuck key, etc. :BangHead: ) with the DC. I have NEVER, EVER, had even the slightest indication of ignition from any of these. I have a cyclone, but it is plumbed AFTER the blower (push-through configuration) so all dust and metal debris hits the impeller full force.

Remember, EVERY single-stage DC has the intake right on the blower. I haven't looked at one lately, but if this were a problem, they would have caution placards up the ying, yang.

Alan,

This is great info, thanks! I could have sworn I read the "metal hits the impeller" statement on the page that is frequently referenced in NCWW as an excellent source of cust control information. I can't fine the link right now...... I was reading up on the need to ground all of the ductwork to prevent explosions (apparently another myth for all but the largest DC systems) and, this is where my memory/understanding of what I read might be failing, I came away with the impression that picking up metal was a MUCH bigger risk. Something about a spark casuing the dust particle or wood chips to smoulder in the bag for several hours and then bursting into flames in the middle of the night. I thought the suggestion was to 1) not allow metal to enter the system and 2) empty the bags after each use into sealed metal containers stored outside.

Did I totally misunderstand/remember what I read? As I mentioned in my first post it seems quite odd that there would be so many shop-vac like attachments for DCs if there was a statistically relevant chance for problems....

Thanks!

Travis

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Alan,

This is great info, thanks! I could have sworn I read the "metal hits the impeller" statement on the page that is frequently referenced in North Carolina Woodworker as an excellent source of cust control information. I can't fine the link right now...... I was reading up on the need to ground all of the ductwork to prevent explosions (apparently another myth for all but the largest DC systems) and, this is where my memory/understanding of what I read might be failing, I came away with the impression that picking up metal was a MUCH bigger risk. Something about a spark casuing the dust particle or wood chips to smoulder in the bag for several hours and then bursting into flames in the middle of the night. I thought the suggestion was to 1) not allow metal to enter the system and 2) empty the bags after each use into sealed metal containers stored outside.

Did I totally misunderstand/remember what I read? As I mentioned in my first post it seems quite odd that there would be so many shop-vac like attachments for DCs if there was a statistically relevant chance for problems....

Thanks!

Travis

It may be on Bill Pentz site- he has a lot of good info, but is all wet on this one. By the way Bill and I have corresponded for nearly 10 years, since the early days of home shop dust control and as we speak are working on a joint project.

Yup, the static ignited fire/explosion and need for grounding in home shops is another urban legend.

Again, a smoldering fire is a possibility but I believe the chances very remote. Believe me, with my DC on, if I get any friction burning (no fire, flame, or visible smoke, just blackened wood) during sawing, sanding, etc. I smell it right away from the air coming from my DC. That is one reason I don't even have a smoke alarm near my DC (I probably should)- which by the way is at garage level and not visible from my second story shop.

mike_wood

Update your profile with your name
User
Re: Dust Rievght System

I want to put in a plug for the dust right system too. I have the handle and ports on my equipment and without question it works better than anything I have ever tried. For those of use who have to move dust collection hoses around I am totally sold on this system. I have used the Fazlock but have never been really satisfied as it is rigid plastic so no clamps can be used. If it does not fit your equipment port exactly then it is duct tape time. Also, they have an annoying tendency to come lose with the equipment vibration. I am replacing everything I have with this system.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
It may be on Bill Pentz site- he has a lot of good info, but is all wet on this one.

Yup, Bill Pentz, that's it exactly. I really appreciate the clarification. I guess have just have one last question. When are you in Durham next and do you make house calls?

Hmm... guess that was 2 questions! :gar-Bi

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I had a good system but the ol..... um.... wife stole it last holloween and I havent seen it or her since.:rotflm:

broom3101-595.jpg

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Careful there Fred or the next time you see it you may see stars first before coming to and wondering the heck happened!!! :rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

Brian.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I had a good system but the ol..... um.... wife stole it last holloween and I havent seen it or her since.:rotflm:

broom3101-595.jpg

Looks a lot like my DC Fred. :rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

Nice score Reggie! :eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc Looking forward to seeing it all setup. :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS