Dust Deputy or VORTEX???

Status
Not open for further replies.

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Looking to augment my shopvac for cleanups. . . . what are the pros and cons between the two advertised capabilites?
Rockler is having a sell on the VORTEX but the dust deputy would take up less room. Is one better than the other?
Thanks,
Tim

Russ Denz

New User
Russ
Hi Tim,
I have and use both. They both do their job, equally as well in my opinion, so here are some other factors that may help you decide.
1, of course, is the cost so it's all up to your own budget.
2, again imho, is flexibility as to footprint / size: the Vortex is a fixed size, while you can mount the Dust Deputy on almost any size container you want, although Oneida recommends nothing larger than 6 gallons (as I recall, so don't quote me on that).
3, both accept the hoses that come with Shop Vac and VacMaster systems, but you need adapters and clamps to hook either to after-market 2 1/2" flex hose, or blast gates, if you want to use one vac for more than one tool.
That's all I have to offer; hope it is helpful.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I have the DD; I got the DIY model on sale and connected it to a dry box that I had lying around. Works great. Mine takes up very little room:
DustDeputy1.jpg

bwat

New User
Bill
Ditto to Russ' comments. I use the dust deputy dedicated to miter saw and router table. The vortex is used for occassional tool dc and shop cleanup allowing it to be located somewhat out of the way most times. As dc needs and shop layout changes you will find good uses for both. If I only had one, I'd chose the dust deputy but shop layout and other available dc will dictate what fits your needs best. IMHO

ChrisB

New User
Chris
I recently bought the Vortex and it works quite well in containing dust and debris. My only complaint is that it tends to tip over easily so one of these days I'll try putting a weight in the bottom of the container to stabilize it. The Vortex also came with a 'flexform' hose that I found to be useless - it wasn't flexible enough and knocked the Vortex around like crazy when I was vacuuming the floor so I replaced it with a standard hose and I'm much happier.

I hope this helps a bit.

Chris

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Don't forget the Clear Vue mini-CV06.

I have the DD and the CV06. The DD always seemed to want to fall over. I ended up putting a few inches of stones in the spare pail for ballast. It is now in the garage for vacuuming the floor and vehicles.

I got the CV06 mainly because it is a bit shorter and fits nicely under my bench. I only take it out from under there to empty it. Never had a problem with the CV06 tipping over. It also has an easy to remove spin on type lid.

Last edited:

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
BTW, my picture of my DIY DD is not current. There is now a cord around the DD attached to the lathe stand. It keeps the DD from being tipped easily (a recurring theme, I notice). Unhooking the cord (loop at one end on a hook) does add an extra 2 or 3 seconds to dumping it now...

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
There is a non scientific review of the DD vs the CV06 on sawmill creek this week. It seems that the DD can handle more volume of trash at once (think, dropping the hose in a pile of dust) but the CV06 did a better job separating the fine stuff.

If you want to vacuum the floor or existing trash go with the vortex or the DD, if you want to have max efficiency while connected to tools, go with the CV06.

I have the DD and after I ballasted the bucket with bricks it worked great; I love it. That said if it were ever to break I would replace it with the CV06.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS