Dust Collection - Velocity Stack

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I'm guessing that this is no big secret among wood turners, but I just found out about it recently after watching one of Mike Peace's YouTube videos.
I used a 4", aluminum, velocity stack that is available on Amazon, with a 4" neoprene adapter. I have no way of measuring if it actually increases the velocity of the air passing through the velocity stack. However, the ability of the velocity stack to draw sawdust that was farther away from the intake was very obvious. It was an inexpensive upgrade - $22 for the velocity stack, and I already had the hard 4" hose coupling and a 4" flexible coupling - around $16.00 for both of them,
Velocity stack front view.jpg
Velocity stack side view.jpg
if you need to buy them.

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
Pete have you had some time to try this out?
Is there enough improvement to make it worthwhile?
I am wondering what the effect would be to have one of these down inside a big gulp shroud. 🤔

Screenshot_20240313_192046_Chrome.jpg

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
When I bought my first lathe, I purchased a Powertec Big Gulp dust collection hood. After getting the lathe and the tool rack situated, I realized that there was no room to use and support the hood without moving the lathe too far away from the tool rack. I have seen these hoods on wall-mounted TV or computer monitor brackets, allowing the hood to be moved in and out from the lathe as well as left and right. In my situation, that was not an option. I use a 4" flexible dust collection hose with the velocity stack. It allows me to bring the hose as close to the work as I think is necessary and it lets me keep the lathe close to the tool rack. I think that either option will get the job done.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS