DUPONT6480 Workshop Layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

dupont6480

New User
Tim
OK. I have moved my equipment around four times in the last 2 months . . . Last night; I think I arrived at a workable solution but request your sage and professional advice/recommendations. I realize this process will never be completed; but would like to start making projects and quit moving tools for awhile. Thanks in advance for your input. Tim
DUPONT_6480_layout.jpg

View image in gallery

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Tim, my 2 cents worth.

Can you rotate the planer such that you can use the saw out feed table? Items like Shop vac and dust collector might work better in the corner. I might also suggest the air cleaner and the lathe are closer together as sanding on a lathe will create a lot of dust.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Tim, I don't remember the size of your shop, so I'm not sure about the scale of the drawing. Does the jointer have enough infeed/outfeed room for longer boards? I had to turn mine at a slight angle to accomplish this. Also, things like the shop vac can often be stored under another work surface, like your assembly table. Just depends on how high it is.

Overall, the shop layout looks great. Now go make some sawdust. :eusa_danc

Bill

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Scott,
Thanks. I do plan on raising the height of my planer stand so I can use outfeed table with it. . . Addtionally, great point on the AFS with the location of the lathe! I will store shop vac under workbench and hope to find a home for the dust collector in the corners. Right now; I will need to move them around to each machine I use as I do not have permanent ducting. Maybe in the future. Thanks again! Tim

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Bill,
The shop dimension is 16x40. I do not believe the pic is to scale. I do not know how to use Sketch Up yet and was using the planner program on the Fine Woodworking site.
The table next to the jointer is same height or a little lower and I plan on using the table as an outfeed for the jointer if needed. Good point on the shop vac. Thanks for your advice sir and after I finish re-building my deck this week (did demo today and wood delivery arrives tomorrow) my plan is to start making sawdust in the workshop.
Hope all is going well,
Tim

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Looking good there Tim!

Looks like a very workable layout. I would just ensure the bench off the outfeed of the jointer is just a smidge lower than the jointer tables, that way it can act as an extra support when handling long stock.

My best advice is to get in there and do a few projects. As you work in the space, you'll get comfortable and develop a list of "I wish this was here, or that was there"... THEN start shifting things around.

All the best,
C.

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Chris,
Hope all is going well for you. I really want to get over there but work, travel and honey-do list is keeping me very busy. I did the demolition on my 14x40 deck yesterday and completed re-building it about 80% today. Hope to finish the deck tomorrow so I can mow the property and enjoy a bar-b-que on Saturday. Thanks for the advice.
Tim

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Check the distance between the tablesaw and the jointer - looks like not enough room to rip sheetgoods ?

Where's the outside access - will you have to carry lumber from one of the shop to another to rack it ? Also I think you need more area for lumber esp. scraps/offcuts.

Will the storage cabinet 'above' the bandsaw give you enough room to run long boards through the bandsaw (or if the bandsaw is on wheels you could pull it out).

Overall the layout looks pretty good. I like the work 'pentangle' of the mitersaw-jointer-planer-tablesaw-workbench

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS