Dumb question re: Tape measures in the shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
My favorite way to cut to a tight fit is to set a stop about 1/16 long and then put business cards up against the stop until I get the piece the length I want.

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Always using the same tape for a project is good advice. I also maintain my tapes by checking inside and outside measurements to be sure they are the same, and I check both right/left corners of the tape to be sure they measure the same. A little bending brings them into line if they have been altered by use.

I will occasionally compare the measurement of my tape measure to one side of my framing square. The get dropped, misplaced,.. I have had to "tweak" them into line also.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I use a tape for prepping stock in the project I tend to use rulers.
Lots of excellent comments

I've become a big fan of the good old fashioned folding rule.

I'm also a big fan of the story stick. I think it is THE way to go because you (will probably ;-) avoid making cutting errors because all your joinery is laid out.

In ww'ing most of the time, accuracy is not as important as the consistency of the cut. What I'm saying is you sneak up on things and you use stop blocks or gang cuts to ensure complimentary parts are the same length.

I take most of my measurements from reality rather than an absolute dimension. Stuff will fit together much better this way.

Not related, but how important is a SHARP pencil? I see videos of great ww'ers using dull pencils and just have to wonder.......

The best pencil sharpener every made:

IMG_1017.jpg

Skymaster

New User
Jack
I use a tape for prepping stock in the project I tend to use rulers.
Lots of excellent comments

I've become a big fan of the good old fashioned folding rule.

I'm also a big fan of the story stick. I think it is THE way to go because you (will probably ;-) avoid making cutting errors because all your joinery is laid out.

In ww'ing most of the time, accuracy is not as important as the consistency of the cut. What I'm saying is you sneak up on things and you use stop blocks or gang cuts to ensure complimentary parts are the same length.

I take most of my measurements from reality rather than an absolute dimension. Stuff will fit together much better this way.

Not related, but how important is a SHARP pencil? I see videos of great ww'ers using dull pencils and just have to wonder.......

The best pencil sharpener every made:

View attachment 16680

.9mm Twist Erase from Pentel, used em for many many many years. NO sharpener needed ever, same line always, one click to new point

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I try and never use the hook unless rough measuring then I cut way over anyways. I use the inch mark and a razor knife and square to mark my lines. This works well for general kinds of stuff.

For guitar work I use veneer calipers and micrometers from my old mold makers apprenticeship days as a standard for measuring. Also jigs for repeatable router cuts and story sticks for bridge placements.

So I guess I let the project dictate what type of measuring devices I use.

Never do anything during the day that will keep you awake at night

schnable

New User
Andrew
The better question is...... Where are all my dang tape measurers. How do they all seem to disappear when I need one.

Sorry for the derail.

I gave my wife one of her very own - mine became much easier to find after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS