Dry kiln vapor barrier

llucas

luke
Senior User
Well progress is happening on my dehumidifier kiln build..(pics later, I promise)
I am to the point of putting up vapor barrier on the inside over the insulation. I google search for the correct caulk/sealant to seal the plastic is confusing. Frequent mention of "acoustic caulk" comes up, but finding such a product by name is elusive.
To you builders out there what do you use to seal the edges of an interior vapor barrier...brands and sources would be helpful.
thumbnail_IMG_0260.jpg

Thanks

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Any poly urethane caulking should work. Sika 1A or 15LM. the 15lm likely a better choice,
Lm = low modulus (squishy)

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
As I read your post I am thinking that you are planning to add a sheet of poly over the already installed kraft paper vapor barrier. I have been told that a double vapor barrier will cause a problem over time. A double vapor barrier would not pass a NC building inspection

llucas

luke
Senior User
Thanks for all your inputs....The link to acoustical sealant was helpful.

Phil, your comment made me concerned re "double vapor barrier"...and yes, according to a few on-line references, it can be a problem.
But most references to "double vapor barrier" refer to two separate barriers, one on each side of the insulated wall, ie in addition to the craft paper another exterior layer under the siding. Apparently that becomes a problem if the outer layer is less permeable than the interior one which may allow moisture trapping inside the wall.
My goal of putting plastic over the craft paper is more to seal up the space to limit air movement through the wall. My rudimentary understanding of the goals of a dehumidifier kiln are to strictly control humidity and temperature with virtually no venting....all water vapor should condense in the dehumidifier and exit the structure via a drain hose.
I readily admit I am a rookie at all this, and am happy to learn from all the bright and knowledgable folks on this site, plus by the more painful trial and error method. (I already schooled myself several times on this project)

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
I painted the plywood walls, ceiling and floor of my dry kiln with aluminum roofing paint and caulked the joints with silicone rubber. I added sheet metal to the floor for foot traffic and covered that with thin plywood for a slip-proof surface. I dry lumber from my mill in it. You are welcome to see it if you like. It has held up well for over a decade now.

llucas

luke
Senior User
I painted the plywood walls, ceiling and floor of my dry kiln with aluminum roofing paint and caulked the joints with silicone rubber. I added sheet metal to the floor for foot traffic and covered that with thin plywood for a slip-proof surface. I dry lumber from my mill in it. You are welcome to see it if you like. It has held up well for over a decade now.
Bob, thanks for the info. I will PM you to set up a visit.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS