Drill press research

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawduster

New User
Robert
It is rare that I can actually contribute useful information to this group, but I have recently done some important research that I think will be very helpful to our online family here :icon_thum

It is entirely possible to use a drill press with the spring broken. It is simply a matter of raising the quill with the handles and holding an elbow under one of said handles , installing your bit, or pen mill etc, lowering it back down and tightening

Stupid Pet Tricks :
It is also possible , and sometimes useful, to raise the quill by grasping the chuck in 2 hands and lifting. Be aware though ( and this is where the important research comes in ) that as the quill rises, the handles also turn at a speed in direct preportion to the speed at which you are lifting said chuck. Each handle has a hard plastic knob which will , in meeting flesh and bone ( such as a forehead ) create a rather nasty little dent and more than a little jolt of pain :BangHead: :confused_
Not being satisfied with the initial results, I had to do it ONE MORE TIME to prove that the research was solid !! :tinysmile_cry_t: :realmad:
....trust me , it hurt the 2nd time too :BangHead: The drill press was unharmed

I share not to take credit for such ground-breaking research, but only to educate others who may have been tempted to experiment :eusa_danc

Fortunately no one was around to witness this except Merlyn and I swear even he was holding back a giggle :embaresse

Class dismissed :cool:

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Thank you for the insightful research!

It's not often we get to "drill down" to such detail!:rotflm:

And especially put it down to "quill" and paper!:rolf:

To the point, but not boring! :rolf::rolf:

Matt

Last edited:

sawduster

New User
Robert

Matt

:rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith

Matt

Although it looks like you have a 'handle' on things, be careful that you don't get 'bit'....

If you do and have problems sleeping, just take some Nyquill.....

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Oh well! There goes my paper on Drill presses! I guess I'll just have to "chuck" mine!

Your research seems to have a better "handle" on the subject, whereas mine just seemed to turn in circles.

I guess I have to chalk it up to better experience, seeing as you graduated from:

The School of Hard Knocks! :gar-Bi

Matt

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Gee Matt, I'm glad that you decided to 'drill down' on this subject further. There for a minute, I thought that it would be 'tabled'.

I'm 'impressed' by how quick you can 'turn' your wit on too!

One thing about this site, it's never 'boring'...

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Gee Matt, I'm glad that you decided to 'drill down' on this subject further. There for a minute, I thought that it would be 'tabled'.

I'm 'impressed' by how quick you can 'turn' your wit on too!

One thing about this site, it's never 'boring'...

This is true, one need's to be truly "sharp" in order to keep up.

Ready to "spring" into action, so to speak! :gar-La;

M

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
This is true, one need's to be truly "sharp" in order to keep up.

Ready to "spring" into action, so to speak! :gar-La;

M

Man, there's more 'spin' on this thread than at a political convention.... :gar-La; but it doesn't have the same 'tilt'.

It didn't take you long to get up to 'speed' either; your witty repartee has some real 'horsepower' behind it, as you can really 'belt' out your responses!

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Man, there's more 'spin' on this thread than at a political convention.... :gar-La; but it doesn't have the same 'tilt'.

It didn't take you long to get up to 'speed' either; your witty repartee has some real 'horsepower' behind it, as you can really 'belt' out your responses!

Political Convention? Seems more like a revolution that is spinning out of control!:gar-Bi
I just wish I wasn't so "pressed" for time! Otherwise I could really punch some holes in the discussion!

:rotflm::rotflm:

M

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Robert, I think we have enough empirical evidence to derive the following Law Of Drill Press:
For every stupid action, there is an equivalent and equally painful reaction

That reminds me - I was cleaning out a P-trap under the sink. Caught the water in a small plastic container. Then, after fiddling around, I got up, picked the right wrench, and decided to dump the little container of water into the sink. Yes, the sink whose P-trap had just removed. Because of the garbage disposal, there was a slight delay between my stupid action and the rather wet reaction, namely the water coming out the pipe. Quick action led me to hold the emptied container under the pipe, catching most of the water. Not putting two and two together, I dumped the water in the sink AGAIN. The point I'm making here is that empirical evidence usually results from making the same stoopid mistake twice:)

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
Of all of the humorous posts here, the last one from Bas strikes a chord with me.

I have dumped once but not twice. That's HILARIOUS!!:rotflm::rotflm:

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Did you test this out on more then one model of drill press.
Or is this data only good for one model right now until someone checks it on a different model.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Robert, I think we have enough empirical evidence to derive the following Law Of Drill Press:

That reminds me - I was cleaning out a P-trap under the sink. Caught the water in a small plastic container. Then, after fiddling around, I got up, picked the right wrench, and decided to dump the little container of water into the sink. Yes, the sink whose P-trap had just removed. Because of the garbage disposal, there was a slight delay between my stupid action and the rather wet reaction, namely the water coming out the pipe. Quick action led me to hold the emptied container under the pipe, catching most of the water. Not putting two and two together, I dumped the water in the sink AGAIN. The point I'm making here is that empirical evidence usually results from making the same stoopid mistake twice:)

Well, In scientific research, once could be coincedence, but twice definitately qualifies as a trend subject to a firm hypothesis!:rotflm::rotflm:. Nice work Bas!:gar-Bi,

A toast! Here's mud in your Eye!:rolf:

BobcatBob

New User
Bob
Each handle has a hard plastic knob which will , in meeting flesh and bone ( such as a forehead ) create a rather nasty little dent and more than a little jolt of pain :BangHead: :confused_
Not being satisfied with the initial results, I had to do it ONE MORE TIME to prove that the research was solid !! :tinysmile_cry_t: :realmad:
....trust me , it hurt the 2nd time too :BangHead: The drill press was unharmed

Class dismissed :cool:

Thanks to your "head on" research, I think it would be an excellent idea to install tennis balls on those hard knob to lessen the impact. Thanks for the heads up. :gar-La;

Bob

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Thanks to your "head on" research, I think it would be an excellent idea to install tennis balls on those hard knob to lessen the impact. Thanks for the heads up. :gar-La;

Bob

Bob,

Tennis balls? Sounds to me like someone likes working without a "net". Certainly not his racquet!

:gar-Bi.

M

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Big Man, you're a true humanitarian and servant of your fellow man! Next time let Merlyn and Harley handle the drilling! You just stick to the sawing!! lol!
:rotflm:

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff

Bas your my hero :thumbs_up

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
You could attach a bungee cord and let it wrap around the handles to pull quill back up. This way when other end comes loose, you get a new and different response- OUCH #^*IT! I guess this means you haven't gotten a new "clock spring" yet. I also broke a spring on my bench top (Sears). I bought as Delta some time back that looked almost the same. The name plate and color were different. Took the spring off the Delta, and it was an exact fit for the Sears. Now I have to go to either Delta or Sears and order a spring, from which ever is cheaper,as they are the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS