Drill press recommendations

mikeyt

Mike
Senior User
I'm looking to add a table top drill press to my shop and looking for some real world reviews.
Something to do a little mortise work and be able to drill holes perfectly straight and consistent.

I could go freestanding if I found a really good deal but prefer to save the floor space.

What's a good brand, model, to look for used?

Thanks

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
Whatever brand, whatever design, get electronic speed control. It is so much better and more convenient than the traditional multi-pulley-on-one-shaft design of days gone by. I've got the old style (most of us probably do too), and the inconvenience of changing pulleys to get to the proper speed means usually we don't do it. I've made mistakes because I've been lazy.

While I don't have experience with the new laser drill point indicators, I've seen a factory demonstration, and it is nice when perfect precision is required.

I don't know if a bench top DP is available with both of these features. Re brand: My preference is Powermatic, even the current models made in Taiwan, or Jet.

mikeyt

Mike
Senior User
Thanks for the info. I know pretty much nothing about drill presses so that is very helpful.

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
A lot of it comes down to what you are willing to spend. The harbor Freight for example is powerful enough to do pretty much anything you need a bench top drill press to do. It is good quality overall but does have a slight wobble so very precise cuts are hard. I have a 13-speed bench top Harbor Freight but most of what I have been doing doesn't require exact, precise cuts. WEN makes a pretty good bench top drill press that is supposed to be good quality and my experience is that the WEN tools are higher quality and much more accurate than Harbor Freight. In the smaller power tool categories the WEN often out perform several name brands in tests.

If you you want more exact and precise cuts you will need to spend more on some of the name brands ones out there. It really depends on what you're willing to spend in the end. Quaity tools are Powermatic, Jet, Rikon, WEN (for the bench top), ShopFox, Gizzly, etc. Honestly, you don't have to spend $600-1,000 on a bench top drill press to get a good one. I find searching reviews across as many different sites as possible helps to narrow down what tools are quality in the category I am looking for. Don't get caught up in brand preference for smaller power tools, the competition in this category is much more intense for quality than in larger, full sized power tools.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Observe the experiences of others when looking for a drill press. Check out Craigslist and facebook marketplace to see what brands and types people are getting rid of. Its likely those are to be avoided.

Estate sales and bankruptcy auctions can be good sources because those machines are for sale because of economic circumstances rather than poor machine performance.

The good old USA-made presses are long out of print but highly desirable if you can find one in good condition.

My experience is that a floor model presses take up less shop space. My bench space is too precious for a bench model. Been there.

A 6" quill throw is great for woodworking. A 3" throw will get frustrating at times because of the limited depth. Quill throw (depth of cut) has to be taken with a grain of salt because there has to be room under the bit to process the stock so subtract at least 1/2" from that figure.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
What’s your $budget for a drill press? How tall (max height) will your workpieces be - how much z-axis height do you need?

For “a little mortise work”, I’m assuming you mean running say Forstner bits up to 1” in diameter rather than something well suited as a hollow chisel mortiser?

So capable of relatively slow rpm’s and 1/2+ HP motor.

Drilling straight holes should be a given but does require a rigid column and table and true-running spindle and chuck.

That eliminates the ‘cheap and cheery’ drill presses and well as high quality but small throw and hp like jewelers models.

Any name-brand model designed for wood or metal working (new or used) should work fine assuming in good working condition and it runs true.

-Mark

mikeyt

Mike
Senior User
Budget is sub 500 if possible.
To be honest I'm not 100% sure on my needs yet. I'm just starting out and don't really plan to get too sophisticated. Just trying to learn a new hobby and enjoy it.
I was building my router fence the other day and a drill press would have been nice to more accurately drill the holes to attach to TS fence. Plus I do plan some projects where mortise will be involved so I know it will have to handle at least a 1inch Forstner bit.
I have a 16' wall bench that I will be setting it on so bench space isn't an issue. I have another 4x6 bench for assembly also.
I hadn't thought about Wen. I have their oscillating sander and it seems ok so I may look at them also if I go new.

Thanks for all the replies

If anyone has a good drill press they'd like to sell let me know

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a 12" Wen. The cast iron bits are a little rough, but that's to be expected at the price point. I like the on-the-fly speed adjustment and work light, but I don't use the laser that much

mikeyt

Mike
Senior User
Looking at this one. Can get down to 250rpm and has an oscillating feature which I don't really need but I could sell my Wen sander and put towards it.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
I have a 12" Wen. The cast iron bits are a little rough, but that's to be expected at the price point. I like the on-the-fly speed adjustment and work light, but I don't use the laser that much

Matt, they list that as a 5 amp. Do you know what that means for horse power?

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
I have a benchtop Porter Cable 3/4 HP one. Nothing special with the multiple pulleys, so-so platform adjustments, yada yada yada. I just don't use it all that much really. Never found the need for a really high level of precision for most of the things I need to drill, and if I do have such I need one of my old neighbors owns a machine shop and a kind heart and will do the higher precision work for me.

And If I found a used floor standing model at a reasonable price I would pick that up in a heartbeat and get rid of the benchtop one I have. It's a pain to move the drill and table it's on since you have to do both separate. If I had a floor standing one I could mount wheels on the back side and to the tip and push thing to move it around.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I use a bench top JET Drill press. I haven’t used it for mortises. I do use some large forstner bits for clock inserts. This was 2 3/8” bit. I find it easy to use and accurate.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 55

demondeacon

Dave
Senior User
Here is a second vote for the Jet 12 inch table top. I bought mine 3 or 4 years ago, use it frequently and have been very satisfied. They retail for about $500. I also upgraded it by installing a Woodpecker drill press table and this has been great to use. Here is my set up

Attachments

• 20230922_073601.jpg
    20230922_073601.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 67
  • 20230922_073609.jpg
    20230922_073609.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 69

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS