Drill press question

NCJim

Jim
User
I just got a new bench top drill press. This new drill press has a variable speed lever unlike my old model that you had to move the belts in order to change speeds.
So the question is: Should I change speeds while the machine is running or should the speed changed when the machine is stopped? The operation manual does not which is correct or maybe it don't matter?

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
If the speeds are varied by mechanical means (Reeves Drive, etc.) then only change speeds while the machine is running.
If the speeds are varied by electronic means (VFD, DC motor control) then it won't make much of a difference unless belt change speed ranges are are used.
What make/model drill press?

NCJim

Jim
User
Its by mechanical lever.

WEN 5-Amp Variable-Speed 12"

Model #4214T

Thank you for the help.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Since it is a mechanical variable speed, don't touch the handle unless the machine is running.

wen pos copy.jpg

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
One of my son's friends decided to adjust the speed of my son's 15" drill press without the machine running. He forced it and snapped the casting that held the cam follower. He remembers that to this day and that was close to 20 years ago. For me it was no big deal because I had a couple of those parts in stock.

1           casting - 1.jpg
Same model 15" drill press but not the one in question.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If you have a new car this may be a good representation of your transmission. I had the idea to use a computer controlled Reeves drive for cars in 1987.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS