Drill Press for Pen Turning

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLazyC

New User
Ken
This may be premature to ask since I have never turned a pen but I am getting all the info I can before I get started. I do not have a way to drill the holes for the two blanks so I figured it was time to add a drill press but looks like the cheap drill presses do not have enough travel to drill all the way through the length of the blanks. Is this right or am I missing something? What is the best way to get the holes drilled if you don't have the proper tool?

I ordered an instructional DVD and hope to order my mandrel and pen kits next week.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you can't find a bench to DP that has at least a 3" stroke, use a step block. It should be about equal to the stroke depth of your press. Start by drilling the hole as deep as you can, then place the step block beneath the blank with the bit in the hole and continue. Make a pen blank vise to hold your blank.
I have a Ryobi VS bench top DP that serves me well for this without the need of a step block. You might want to look into it.

TheLazyC

New User
Ken
Thanks, I knew it had to be something easy like that. I am looking a drill presses from $69 to $200, I was leaning towards the $69 one because I do not think I will use it that much and I need so many new shop tools.

If you can't find a bench to drillpress that has at least a 3" stroke, use a step block. It should be about equal to the stroke depth of your press. Start by drilling the hole as deep as you can, then place the step block beneath the blank with the bit in the hole and continue. Make a pen blank vise to hold your blank.
I have a Ryobi VS bench top drillpress that serves me well for this without the need of a step block. You might want to look into it.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Thanks, I knew it had to be something easy like that. I am looking a drill presses from $69 to $200, I was leaning towards the $69 one because I do not think I will use it that much and I need so many new shop tools.

I'd be more worried about accuracy than quill travel in the cheap drill presses. For turning pens you need to be right down the center of that blank as there isn't a lot of wiggle room....

Also, don't think for a second you won't use the drillpress. Once it's in your shop you'll find aaallll kinds of reasons to use it in addition to drilling pen blanks. I'd suggest looking a bit harder at some of the better benchtop presses to see if you can't find one that will do what you want.

This one at Home Depot has 3" travel according to the Ryobi site... might be worth looking at for $170.... I've not used the Ryboi press myself however I've been very impresed with their tools in general in the "bang for you buck" department.

Review of the Ryobi by FWW -- Looks like they approve...

Trav

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS