Drill chuck slipping

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I just got a new drill chuck for stopper turning and of course drilling. It works great for drilling in the tailstock, but when placed in the headstock to chuck a stopper it wants to slip right out. I am afraid to give it a wack to seat it in the taper and mess up my bearings. I have cleaned the tapers with some acetone to remove any grease, hasn't helped at all :BangHead:
Any suggestions????

Dave:)

T

toolferone

I wonder if the taper on the chuck might be to long for the lathe. I will check one at work as soon as I get more chucks in stock.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Hey Dave...
I have the same issue. I have found thc use of the tailstock to be invaluable to use as mvch as possible. Usvally by the time I HAVE to remove the tailstock the chuck has seated itself fairly well. The other yhing I have been doing is to LIGHTLY tap the chuck with a mallet. As svgsested I expect this could hurt the chuck bvt I'm tapping just enovgh to seat it. I eypect turning pots jost as much pressure on the bearings.

HTH...sorry 4 the spelling...I'm using letter recognition on my PDA

Chris

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
k, I'll stop tapping :eusa_whis

Dave...nevermind. Good luck and let me know what you find out :oops:

Chris

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
what does the end of the shaft look like? the one i bought had a tab on the end with a threaded hole in it. it was designed for use with a drawbar. in order to use it in my mimi i had to grind this tab off because it wouldnt allow the taper to seat properly. it worked fine in the tailstock just not the head stock.

fred p

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Fred, it does have some internal threads at the small end of the taper. I wonder if that is the issue, although I don't have a mini lathe, mine is full size and I have had no other problems with anything else in the taper. I will compare the chuck's taper to the spur center's taper and see if one is longer.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Fred, it does have some internal threads at the small end of the taper. dave:)

you may have found the solution there dave. get yourself a draw bar. its just a threaded rod with a nut and washer long enough to go through the headstock.

fred

DavidF

New User
David
Hey Dave...
I have the same issue. I have found thc use of the tailstock to be invaluable to use as mvch as possible. Usvally by the time I HAVE to remove the tailstock the chuck has seated itself fairly well. The other yhing I have been doing is to LIGHTLY tap the chuck with a mallet. As svgsested I expect this could hurt the chuck bvt I'm tapping just enovgh to seat it. I eypect turning pots jost as much pressure on the bearings.

HTH...sorry 4 the spelling...I'm using letter recognition on my PDA

Chris

Hi Chris, If it's windows mobile then try Phatspell. it's part of Phatnotes.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Thanks for the advice. It is mobile, but the problem is that I like to use the letter recognition with my stylus. When I go too fast, not all of the letters come out as intended. I'll look at phatspell to see if it would 'clean up' after me :)

Chris

DavidF

New User
David
Thanks for the advice. It is mobile, but the problem is that I like to use the letter recognition with my stylus. When I go too fast, not all of the letters come out as intended. I'll look at phatspell to see if it would 'clean up' after me :)

Chris

Hi Chris, My new phone is a win mobile and also uses the old palm graffiti. I have used it for years and I never bother with the hardware keyboard.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
My lathe has a #4 Morse taper tail stock. No way it is going to fit the head stock. I have a chuck on the way for holding from 3/8 to 4 inches, until I can save up to order the 16 inch jaws.

Mike--------the place in Charlotte that handles a lot of MT accessories is --Wholesale Tool---the NC number is 1-800-438-3580-----they are located at 4200 Barringer Dr., Charlotte, NC

Apology for highjacking the thread but the mention of #4 morse taper made me think of it.

Jerry

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I stopped by Woodcraft today and the fine staff - Tom and John hooked me up with a new spindle. The taper must have been off just a hair on the original one, because the new one seated and held firm. I had to use the knock-out rod to remove it after just using hand pressure to seat it :eusa_danc :eusa_danc :eusa_danc I'll be returning the original one to the store...it's good to have friends in woodworking places :-D :-D :-D

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
If you are going to use it to hold the work for turing you may need a draw bar any way.
If your lathe has an external thread on the headstock get a collet chuck.A very verstile tool, worth its' weight in gold.
Not cheap.
Get the Beall collet and ask your machinist friend for a cheap source of er-32 collets

T

toolferone

I stopped by Woodcraft today and the fine staff - Tom and John hooked me up with a new spindle. The taper must have been off just a hair on the original one, because the new one seated and held firm. I had to use the knock-out rod to remove it after just using hand pressure to seat it :eusa_danc :eusa_danc :eusa_danc I'll be returning the original one to the store...it's good to have friends in woodworking places :-D :-D :-D

Yea, I am glad we got it figured out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS