Dream Shop......a reality...(*UPDATE 12/07/08)

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rickc

Re: Dream Shop......a reality...(*UPDATE 11/02/08)

What a Christmas gift that would be! I look at that and start thinking how I would divide the space up, and dream of the equipment upgrades that would become justified because I had the room for them. Very nice. Very nice indeed!:thumbs_up

sawman

New User
Albert
Re: Dream Shop......a reality...(*UPDATE 11/02/08)

Dolan that is one beautiful shop. I really like the outside storage area for your equipment.
I expect you will be turning quite a few more of your pens, furniture and cabinents to keep yourself busy.
I used OSB on my shop walls and painted everything but the floor, white.
I thought about doing the floor with white epoxy but then the floor would be to slick and show all the debri so I stuck with the grey concrete.
I will keep an eye out for your posts.

Albert :saw:

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Re: Dream Shop......a reality...(*UPDATE 11/16/08)

We finished putting all the metal on the outside on Monday the 10th.

This is a front view.
www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/286/medium/DSC06897.JPG

This is the rear view.
www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/286/medium/DSC06899.JPG

This is the view from the Barn end.
www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/286/medium/DSC06902.JPG

View into the WW'ing shop area.
www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/286/medium/DSC06901.JPG

View into the Barn area.
www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/286/medium/DSC06903.JPG

The garage door will be installed on Wednesday and the rain gutters next week and the electrical work will start this week also.

I will be making shutters for the windows painted to match the roof.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy

It's looking great Dolan. Enclosing it just as a cold spell hits is always a good thing:icon_thum.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley

Great looking shop!!!! You might want to rethink the dividing wall for the shop and make it movable. :gar-Bi Like the old saying, you never have too much room. So how big is the shop area vs. the barn area? Anyway, it's purdy and I wish I had it. I'm sure you will enjoy it to the max..

Mike

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member

Wow, that is huge!!!!! That will be a great place to work. Will it be just for hobby use or will you be doing some commercial stuff? The building is bigger than the local cabinet shop (that just went out of business)!!!

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown

Great looking shop!!!! You might want to rethink the dividing wall for the shop and make it movable. :gar-Bi Like the old saying, you never have too much room. So how big is the shop area vs. the barn area? Anyway, it's purdy and I wish I had it. I'm sure you will enjoy it to the max..

Mike

Mike,

The building is 30x64 (OD) and the dividing wall cuts the building in half, so the shop area is 30x32 but the DC and air compressor and wood storage is all going to be in the barn area. So I think I will have room to move around in the shop without having to move something to get to something else...at least for awhile.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown

Wow, that is huge!!!!! That will be a great place to work. Will it be just for hobby use or will you be doing some commercial stuff? The building is bigger than the local cabinet shop (that just went out of business)!!!

Alan, mostly hobby stuff but with an occasional commision if I get one. My existing shop is so tight now (too little space for the equipment and low ceiling) that I have a keck of a job handling plywood in it.

With the new shop I will store all the wood, plywood etc in the barn area. There will be a double door (two 30") in the center of the dividing wall that is in line with the TS that will make it easy to get plywood to the TS...plus I have 12' ceilings so I don't think I will have any headroom issues.:gar-La;

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member

WOW!!!!!

Now, the progress slows (at least this is the stage it did for me).

M

McRabbet

Dolan -- Steve Coles needs to order 500 drool cups for everyone of us that is insanely jealous of your new shop space -- Man -- that is incredible! Congratulations!

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown

Dolan -- Steve Coles needs to order 500 drool cups for everyone of us that is insanely jealous of your new shop space -- Man -- that is incredible! Congratulations!

Thanks Rob. I'm not sure that reality has set in that this is really going to be my shop. I remember some of the first woodworking I did about 38 years ago I built a toy box for our son using a really small TS working in the storage room at the end of a carport that was about 3' x 8'. BTW my grandson is now using that same toy box. I am really looking forward to all the space.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
I am still making good progress on the Shop/Barn project. I am ready for the pre-insulation inspection of the electrical, plumbing and mechanical (Heat Pump/Air Handler and Duct work). It should be inspected on Tuesday and probably will have the insulation done by the following Friday the 12th. My son and I completed the installation of the Heat Pump and duct work yesterday.

This is the room I call the Office/Clean Room. It will have the sink, refrigerator, desk, sound system and a small room for the commode. Also will probably have cabinet/shelves for my WW'ing book magazines.

This is the Air Handler and duct work.

This is looking into the Shop through the wall dividing the Barn/Storage area from the Shop.

skeeter

New User
Charles
So Dolan, what have you been doing this Christmas? :gar-La;:gar-La; Seriously, great job. Looks like you've really been busy.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Dolan, your entire project is fantastic! I'm not sure how I missed this string before now, but kudo's to you for your soon-to-be new shop home!

That's a great size too, and I like how you've laid it out with respect to the different use areas.

Man, you gotta be incredibly excited!

Scott

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Sweeet!!!!!! How big of a panel are you putting in? Are you getting a separate service, or tying into the service for your house?

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Sweeet!!!!!! How big of a panel are you putting in? Are you getting a separate service, or tying into the service for your house?

Travis, it will be a large 200Amp panel with lots of circuits available. It will be tied in to an existing panel with plenty of space on the rear of my house. The electrician ran most of the tools on separate circuits and I had 240V circuits put at all the tools that use it, plus some extras in case I change tools or want to move some around. The barn end will also have a welder circuit at my son's request. He might move his welding and tourch equipment to the barn end to give him more room in his small building. I couldn't turn him down since he has saved me about $3000 on my heat pump and installation. Thanks to him I have a 1.5Ton 13 Seer heat pump installed in the shop end for $1000. :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS