Drawer Unit for Garage Shelves

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Consistent motivation has been hard to come by, but I did get a long-needed project completed over the weekend.

Shelf_Drawer_Unit.jpg

This is going to sit on the metal shelf in the background, and allow me to finally start the organizing that I’ve been talking about. The carcass, drawer fronts, and pulls are BORG pine, and the drawer boxes are B/C plywood.

To make the pulls, I simply worked both sides with a #8 round until it felt okay in my fingers.

Drawer_pull.jpg

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Well done!

Did you use drawer slides or just piston fit wooden drawer runners?

I really like they scale, drawer reveal and pulls.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
So that’s what the white pine was for. Those seems look great, wish I could achieve that with that many drawers.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Looks great, Matt. I like small drawers for storage. Would love to see some pictures of inside the drawers once you get everything organized.

Pat M

Belg
Senior User
Really nice job, organized storage is a must for any shop.
I have to build slide out drawers for my metal lockers.

Claus

Claus
User
Very nice job. I especially like that it’s made with BORG material. Could you post a few more pictures? I’d like to see how the drawers and the case are made. I really need something like that to organize all the piles in my shop. Thanks very much.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Was this 100% hand tools? I seem to remember you don’t use power tools.
I used a small bandsaw to rip the fronts close to final width, and a tracksaw to breakdown the plywood (½ and 5mm) for the drawers.

I made a mistake on my first set of pine drawers, and didn't feel like rummaging through the pine at Lowe's and Home Depot (again) trying to find enough boards to get acceptable stock.

Last edited:

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Could you post a few more pictures? I’d like to see how the drawers and the case are made.
The only other pictures that I have are of the initial panel glue ups.

The carcass is rabbeted and nailed together with 6d fine finish cut nails. The center divider sits in a stopped dado.

The ¼" plywood back is held in a groove in the top and sides and screwed to the bottom (the bottom is narrower than the other 3 sides).

The drawers are plywood (glue and 18ga brads) with pine fronts.

There are thousands of videos on YouTube that will show you how to make something similar. You'll just need to adapt one to suit your needs.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Great project Matt. The consistent tight spacing is sweet. I really like the handmade pulls. Can you give us the dimensions?
I used dividers to make the pulls proportional with the drawer fronts—1:5 height x 1:4 width. The depth is what felt comfortable. They're roughly 9/16" x 4 3/16" x ¾"

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors