Drawer sliders, joinery, well a little bit of everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I want to build something like this for my next project:
Kitter_litter_Box_Sliding_Tray.jpg

Since the litterbox will be heavy, I want some heavy-duty undermount drawer slides. Any recommendations on where to get those? I do not want the auto-close or soft-stop, just some very high quality, durable slides.

This design is a little simple, this would be a great project to try out panel-and-frame construction. Still have episode 1 of the Woodsmith Shop stored on my DVR :) I'm thinking I'll make three panels - two for the side and one for the back. The front will just have aprons. The cabinet will double as a bird cage stand, so I most likely end up painting it white, to match the cage. That makes joinery easy, I can just glue and screw/ brad the panels together. But, if I decide to go with a clear finish (and don't want any visible nails), would glue alone be strong enough to join the panels? Biscuits? Loose tenons? :eusa_thin

And if anyone has come across plans for something like this, a link would be much appreciated!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I would use Blum undermount slides (since you want them concealed).

Looks like basic frame and panel construction. You should be able to turn that out in an hour or two.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
So, a "Kitty Crapper" and a "Budgie Bidet" combination?? Sounds nice!
:rotflm:
Hope LOML never sees that!!

J

jeff...

Bas is on a quest for the perfect kitty crapper don't forget to add a light, kitty's are afraid to do there business in the dark.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
OK, I admit it will take more than an hour or two.

As for a plan, I haven't seen one specifically like the picture you have, but drawing it up in sketchup wouldn't be hard.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Had to banish ours to the yard after they peed on the stove burner.:kamahlitu I think we've become the dumping ground for dysfunctional cats.
Good luck!

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Auto open/close doors would be nice and charcoal filter in the exhaust fan would be "abode friendly" as well.

Git 'em Bas!!

:wwink:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Auto open/close doors would be nice and charcoal filter in the exhaust fan would be "abode friendly" as well.
Who do you think I am, Alan? But charcoal filter is not a bad idea.

BumoutBob

New User
Bob
Bas, I wonder if slides are a good idea. My cats throw litter all over the place. Slides may get jammed with litter. In addition, the litter will be under the sliding shelf and be harder to clean out. My suggestion is to use a plain flat shelf, and set the litter box on it. The flat shelf would be a hardboard that's melamine faced and the spilled litter will sweep right out of there with a brush or a hand vac. Some cats don't aim well and there are other things to clean up also. Sanitizing may be necessary.

Maybe the doors could be hinged to the side panels so there are no front corners to accumulate litter also.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
How about incorporating an auto flush as advertised on TV. Of course you would have to build on top of the toilet!! Now you will not only be a woodworker, you will be a plumber also. I have heard the make all the $$$. More $$$ = more tools.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
There is no perfect solution, that's for sure. For cleanup, the easiest is just to have an open shelf, no sides. But, I'd like a more 'discrete' solution. A fixed shelf would prevent clogged slides, but makes it much harder to clean, since you have to reach in and contend with the top. One idea is to add a small apron (1/2") below the shelf, to protect the slides a little. That makes for a more complex construction though.

As far as cleaning out the spilled litter, I could add feet to raise the cabinet a few inches off the floor. A broom would then make quick work of it. Keep in mind that cleaning is a fairly involved job regardless because of the birds. They tend to be pretty messy as well.

This whole setup just screams dust collection :)

BumoutBob

New User
Bob
Any woodworking project is allowed as much hard ware and intricate jointery as the builder wants to build. A door operated blast gate to operate a 5Hp dust collector pickup should do the trick in this case. Better think a bit on how you're going to build a bypass on the fan in case the cat looses his grip on the edge of the box when the fan is running. The bird will fit between the blades OK but he might take a wack in the head every now and then if his timing isn't right.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
A door operated blast gate to operate a 5Hp dust collector pickup should do the trick in this case. Better think a bit on how you're going to build a bypass on the fan in case the cat looses his grip on the edge of the box when the fan is running. The bird will fit between the blades OK but he might take a wack in the head every now and then if his timing isn't right.
:rolf: Hmmm, with that kind of setup, the s*** could REALLY hit the fan :)

M

McRabbet

It's obvious that you guys are now talking about a system where "One use, ends all!", or is it "Out of sight, out of here!". :rotflm:

Maybe it is "The perfect elimination system -- no more stinky litter box!". But if you're going to add the 5HP DC system, I'd eliminate the filters on the DC and exhaust straight outdoors -- that's what Dennis recommended to start!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Just teach the cat to use the toilet. I knew a K-9 trainer who taught his cats to use the toilet and flush. Simplified life and kept the home smelling sweet.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I would leave the base enclosed, ie no feet. That way, you don't have to worry about the litter getting under the cabinet as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS