drawer construction question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
With the cost of poplar I am looking at plywood for drawer construction. I have 1/2" and 3/4" available. Which would you guys and girls suggest I use? Lorraine

MarkW

New User
Mark
From my experience, most plywood drawers are 1/2"ish . I think 3/4" would seem heavy though it would certainly work.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
1/2" with lots of plys. baltic birch or multiply would be my choice. i used 1/2" sandply from the borg for my recent dressers. worked well.

fred p

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I've had more success with 1/2" ply on the sides and 3/4" (or thicker) solid lumber on the fronts & backs when using a DT jig.
Joe

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I have 1/2" high quality plywood and 3/4" blondwood from Lowes. I like the idea of 1/2" inch on the side and 3/4" on the front and back because I am using dovetails for construction. The poplar was expensive when I considered all the interal slide drawers that I have to put in my lower kitchen cabinets. Some will have high sides. Thanks for the help guys. One last question. When figuring size of drawer fronts when slides are being used is 1" less than the opening size correct. Lorraine

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
One last question. When figuring size of drawer fronts when slides are being used is 1" less than the opening size correct. Lorraine

size of drawer box 1" less than opening. If you size the drawer fronts like that, you will clearly see the drawer slides from the front of the cabinet. Some slides may actually require more or less clearance, for instance, with the European undermount slides we used on a recent kitchen, I was able to get away with just about 1/8 - 3/16 clearance, though it did require some adjustment to the drawer box bottom.

Nativespec

New User
David
From my experience, even the best plywood will be disappointing if you are using dovetail joints. Even with backer boards I had tearout (probably due to voids and inconsistent gluing in the plywood. I will more than likely use poplar in my next project involving dovetails.

Thanks,

David

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Be careful of the 1/2" ply from Lowes/Home Depot. I have had it vary in thickness. Not saying not to use, saying that I wouldn't mix it and would keep an eye on the thickness.

M

McRabbet

I like using 1/2" Baltic Birch for drawer sides and backs. If the drawer is going to be a simple pullout within a cabinet where having the slides show is okay, I use half-blind dovetails in 3/4" solid wood fronts and a 1/4" by 1/4" rabbet in the backs that is set into a dado 1/2" from the rear of the sides. I use 1/4" BB bottoms set in a dado in all four pieces.

Where I want an overlay drawer front with half-blind dados, I cut a 1/2" deep rabbet inset to the drawer width (allowing for the slides) the full height of the front and cut the dovetails as usual. When the drawer front needs to be full thicknesss and must cover the drawer opening, built a full drawer box with 1/2" stock and add a solid wood front of the proper size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS