Dovetails

Papachad

Papachad
Senior User
For fun, I figured I would post my progress on learning handtool woodworking, specifically hand cut dovetails. Shout out to @pop-pop who was kind enough to sell me a portable workbench/vice (until I build my own bench) and Stanley no 5 which has been awesome to get started with and learn on.

Post some pictures of your dovetails and put mine to shame!

First try (notice I cut the tails backwards)
1000001175.jpg

Tonight's effort:
1000001199.jpg

1000001198.jpg

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
Nice, how does your wife feel about you clamping the vise to her kitchen table.

That's better than my first ones. I need to get back to my own practice.

Papachad

Papachad
Senior User
I’m starting to get motivated to go down this rabbit hole as well. Thanks for posting.
I recommend it. It's been a very enjoyable process. Just be patient with yourself, there is a couple weeks of practice between the two pictures I posted but it starts coming together and is very satisfying.

Dovetail

Rich
Senior User
Those look pretty darn good. Try making the tail piece with the dark wood.

Attachments

• IMG_7577.JPG
    IMG_7577.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7578.JPG
    IMG_7578.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 34

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
1708717825850.png

I found this cradle in a small shop in Virginia about 45 years ago. I has angled dovetails that make it a little tougher to build but not impossible. Pins first was my choice.

1708717872899.png

Before I could get the shellac on the surface, the cat walked thru the dye I made from walnut shells and left the evidence. It was quite conversation piece.

1708717962565.png

I have made several tool boxes for myself and my son from some pine years later. This is toolbox I am really attached to for carry along my Japanese saws.

1708718580902.png

Full circle.

Dan

Papachad

Papachad
Senior User
View attachment 226565
I found this cradle in a small shop in Virginia about 45 years ago. I has angled dovetails that make it a little tougher to build but not impossible. Pins first was my choice.

View attachment 226566
Before I could get the shellac on the surface, the cat walked thru the dye I made from walnut shells and left the evidence. It was quite conversation piece.

View attachment 226567
I have made several tool boxes for myself and my son from some pine years later. This is toolbox I am really attached to for carry along my Japanese saws.

View attachment 226569
Full circle.

Dan
That looks incredible! I love the cat prints.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS