Domino, first impressions....

Status
Not open for further replies.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Today while I was at work, I own a restaurant, I noticed that a couple of my cabinet doors were in pretty poor condition. Well, I was kinda bored at work so I decided this was a perfect first project for the new Domino. I needed 3 new doors and they are the simple frame and panel variety. I rushed down to HD for some already dimensioned popler and a sheet of 1/4" ply for the panels.

Since the popler was already dimensioned to the required thickness, it was easy pickins' to rip and crosscut my rail and stiles. I cut some 1/4" grooves on the router table and was ready for assembly. Domino time! Decided I'd use the 6mm x 40mm Dominos so I changed out the 5mm bit. First impression....WOW. Easy as pie. Took about 5 seconds and I'm ready to start mortising. I was a little concerned about the precision needed, but those concerns were quickly alleviated. This thing really is as easy as a biscuit joiner, maybe easier since it is such a solid piece of machinery. I decided to cut the tight mortises on the rails and the slightly larger mortises in the stiles. This made fitting the joints a breeze! It took me about 5 minutes to clamp and mortise the 12 joints in the 3 doors. Everything fit as advertised so tonight after work I'll be doing the glue up. Sorry for the lack of pixs but I'm back at work as I type this. I was just so excited about the possibilities of this little toy I felt like I had to let you guys know.

My final assessment echoes pretty much everthing I've read about the Domi. Awesome tool, precise, easy to use and most definately a huge time saver! Total project took about 2 hours! I'll post some pixs tomorrow.... :)

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Peter,
Glad you're not letting any dust settle on it!

BTW...What's up with restauranteurs (you and Dino) and Dominos? :lol:

M

McRabbet

Peter,

We'll look forward to seeing this new tool at tomorrow's WNCWA Meeting! See you there!

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS