Domino, first impressions....

Status
Not open for further replies.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Today while I was at work, I own a restaurant, I noticed that a couple of my cabinet doors were in pretty poor condition. Well, I was kinda bored at work so I decided this was a perfect first project for the new Domino. I needed 3 new doors and they are the simple frame and panel variety. I rushed down to HD for some already dimensioned popler and a sheet of 1/4" ply for the panels.

Since the popler was already dimensioned to the required thickness, it was easy pickins' to rip and crosscut my rail and stiles. I cut some 1/4" grooves on the router table and was ready for assembly. Domino time! Decided I'd use the 6mm x 40mm Dominos so I changed out the 5mm bit. First impression....WOW. Easy as pie. Took about 5 seconds and I'm ready to start mortising. I was a little concerned about the precision needed, but those concerns were quickly alleviated. This thing really is as easy as a biscuit joiner, maybe easier since it is such a solid piece of machinery. I decided to cut the tight mortises on the rails and the slightly larger mortises in the stiles. This made fitting the joints a breeze! It took me about 5 minutes to clamp and mortise the 12 joints in the 3 doors. Everything fit as advertised so tonight after work I'll be doing the glue up. Sorry for the lack of pixs but I'm back at work as I type this. I was just so excited about the possibilities of this little toy I felt like I had to let you guys know.

My final assessment echoes pretty much everthing I've read about the Domi. Awesome tool, precise, easy to use and most definately a huge time saver! Total project took about 2 hours! I'll post some pixs tomorrow.... :)

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Peter,
Glad you're not letting any dust settle on it!

BTW...What's up with restauranteurs (you and Dino) and Dominos? :lol:

M

McRabbet

Peter,

We'll look forward to seeing this new tool at tomorrow's WNCWA Meeting! See you there!

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors