Do we have/want too many tools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
What a thought provoking topic for all of us. With limited space and funds, a multi-task 2 car garage for a shop, no 220 volt access or phase converter it's been an easy choice dictated by practicality. I started my woodworking journey about 4 years ago at age 60 and my tool collection is a modest mix of hand and power tools. No jointer, planer, or bandsaw so I purchase wood at S4S with my specifications at the time of purchase.

My projects are done for home use or gifts to family and friends and instant gratification is not part of the process. A large part of the challenge and fun is to find innovative ways to do an acceptably good job with the tools that I have at hand. Maybe unconventional and clumsy, but the reward is the finished product and the satisfaction derived from "got it done and it looks d..n good in our collective opinions". To that end this site has been invaluable in providing advice, suggestions, support, and critique. :thumbs_up

That's not to say that we shouldn't continually strive to become better at the craft, but how many pieces does one have to build to approach recovering the cost of that $1,500 new tool? Did that purchase take your work to a higher level or just improve your productivity?

Like golf or tennis: It's the operator so don't rush out and buy a new putter or racket to improve your game.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks Ernie and everyone for this great thread! A possible relocation to another country and a much different way of life caused us to start making lists of essentials that have to come and things donated or sold. A friend suggested a great book and blog to check out: http://guynameddave.com/2011/01/so-what-exactly-is-the-100-thing-challenge/ and said read it before doing anything further. The idea behind this challenge is that you should be able to live better with fewer, better things/relationships/responsibilities/etc and not be a prisoner of the mountain of crappy stuff you have in your life. As the author says: "It’s not about counting things to keep or get rid of. It’s about freeing up space in our lives. Getting rid of the stuff that overwhelms and distracts us. Then making use of that space to do good things in our families, communities, and beyond."

Well it now looks like the move will not happen as soon as we thought but the book has left an impression on me.

jhreed

New User
james
We have at least one of our number whose power tools look like Harbor Freight rejects. He does not have to lock his shop. No one would steal his tools. But, his finished work is beyond excellent. He has learned how to make jigs & fixtures to augment these cheap tools so that he winds up with a good result. The money that most spend on better tools, he spends on supplies.
I always heard a good craftman does not blame his tools!!

Dave Peterson

New User
Dave
If a new tool can lessen my frustration, or allow me to make something I could not have made before, that is about all the justification and rationalization I need. Sure, I have made stuff on the back deck with a cheap table saw as my only basic power tool, but wanted to do more. Now that I can afford it.....I do more!

Dave Peterson

BWSmith

New User
BW
As a builder,shop design and size is simply NOT a problem(we have too much sq ftg now).

As a machine rebuilder,machine price and availabity isn't a concern(equip passes through here regularly).

As a craftsman,knowing when to handmake vs machine made is a skillset that gets constant attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors