Do I need a fifth leg?

Ericlassiter18

New User
Eric Lassiter
In the final stages of building this TV stand. Sides are dovetailed 1" solid walnut, and vertical dividers are 5/8" walnut plywood set in 3/8" dados. 2 drawers on each side. my question is will i have any concern with sagging overtime if the span between the legs is 48" from their outer edges? I might be overthinking this, cause it feels pretty sturdy. Should I add a fifth leg while I still have the wood to match, or is it overkill with a cabinet like this?

Attachments

• TV stand final mockup.png
    TV stand final mockup.png
    550.3 KB · Views: 159

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
If the back panel of that stand was a single piece running the entire width, I'd say you wouldn't need a center leg. But if you feel it's necessary to have that open space behind the electronic components, it might help to have the extra support.

Ericlassiter18

New User
Eric Lassiter
If the back panel of that stand was a single piece running the entire width, I'd say you wouldn't need a center leg. But if you feel it's necessary to have that open space behind the electronic components, it might help to have the extra support.
I’ve got a piece of 3/16” hardboard set within a rabbet spanning the entire back, with a couple cutouts for cords. Do you think this should suffice?

Last edited:

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
There are many consoles in that style around with no center leg and I'm sure most weren't built as well as yours will be. Plus adding a center leg just wouldn't look right on that style console. I'm sure it will be sturdy enough without one. Just my opinion (but I'm right ;))

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I doubt you need it but if you wanted to add a center leg I would combine a left and right leg to maintain the look. In order words the center leg would resemble a "T".

ssmith

New User
Scott
No need for a center leg IMO assuming the top and bottom are solidly attached to the sides and vertical dividers, probably even without the hardboard back.

Using that too will not only prevent racking, it'll double down on the vertical strength.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
It would be interesting to see your SketchUp model file to be able to examine your construction details a bit more.

If you are concerned about sagging, you could add a long rail underneath to add some stiffness.

iclark

Ivan
User
In the final stages of building this TV stand. Sides are dovetailed 1" solid walnut, and vertical dividers are 5/8" walnut plywood set in 3/8" dados. 2 drawers on each side. my question is will i have any concern with sagging overtime if the span between the legs is 48" from their outer edges? I might be overthinking this, cause it feels pretty sturdy. Should I add a fifth leg while I still have the wood to match, or is it overkill with a cabinet like this?
You do not say what the bottom or top are made out of. If it is 5/8" walnut ply with dados cut into it, you can expect a huge sagging problem if the dado glue joint fails.

If you are going to put any electronics in the TV stand, please remember to allow air flow for the electronics. I bought a very nice white oak TV stand that was designed to not allow air flow for cooling and all of the cables had to run in and out of the back panel to go from one compartment or one shelf to another one. I had to make some major mods when I assembled it.

The ply back panel does not give much support if it is floating. If it is not floating and the top is solid wood, then you may have problems with differential expansion and contraction with change of seasons.

Is the 5/8" walnut ply with walnut veneer on both faces commercially available?

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
My opinion is a fifth leg is unnecessary and will only detract from the aesthetic.
@eric: PM me if you'd like to go into the mechanics/physics of it.

ralitaco

Jim
Senior User
I have no answer for your question, but the design looks great. I look forward to seeing the pics of the build and final product.
I am sure there is a proper term for it which I don't know but could you run a 1x2 or something on edge set in the center underside to add support to the bottom. With it sitting so close to the ground it may not be very noticeable.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors