DIY Steady rest with micro-adjust

peltona

Andrew
User
I used a bunch of scrap ply to build this steady rest.
Fun little project
20240303_120926.jpg

20240303_120901.jpg

peltona

Andrew
User
Micro adjust? It's not obvious to me - how is that accomplished? I have not used a steady rest.
Michael nailed it. Most steady rests I've seen for wood lathes just have the black start knobs that lock the fingers in place after you manually adjust until they touch your work. Those work just fine as well. My metal lathe has a steady rest with micro-adjust knobs and I thought that would be neat to try to have on my own version of a wood lathe steady rest with that metal lathe feature. You could realistically go your entire wood-turning journey without ever using or needing a steady rest much like not having a chuck (introduced in the 1980s I've read). They are handy when you have a lot of stick out on spindle work to reduce chatter or to address the end of a spindle where the tailstock center would be in your way or if you are hollowing out a wooden vase or chalice.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Thanks Michael and Andrew. Once pointed out (and I used a larger than my phone screen) I could see the mechanism and understand it. Makes sense.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors